Call for Writers

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Call for Writers

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

So they're actually calling for writers right now, huh? Interesting. I wonder how many times that's happened since the days of the physical Board.

And now I'm wondering if my pride can handle me applying yet again...
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I just became a Sophomore; I'm <insert verb that you think is most appropriate> that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.

I've been reading the Board well over two years and can't remember a call for writers (of course, I wasn't thinking about applying much then, so I may be wrong). Maybe it's a good sign for my application...
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Good luck to both of you!

I won't be applying, though I think I could make a good writer. My plate is already o'erflowing, and being a board writer would only make that worse.

P.S. Dead Cat, I think you mean <insert adjective that you think is most appropriate>. If you insert verbs (which would really be present participles, since the verb is "am"), you get such nonsense as:
  • I'm running that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm gulping that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm beating that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm existing that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
Though a few could work (albeit awkwardly):
  • I'm laughing that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm crying that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm chanting that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
But adjectives (especially adjectival participles, which are derived from verbs) give you a lot more flexibility:
  • I'm depressed (adjectival participle) that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm ecstatic (adjective) that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm concerned (adjectival participle) that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm intrigued (adjectival participle) that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
See?
I am Ellipsissy...
Cuddlefish

Post by Cuddlefish »

Holy Hannah! They must be desparate!

I've been reading for almost a freakin' decade and they've never asked for writers.

I don't think they'd take me back, though.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I would apply, but I don't think they'd take a UVU student.....
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Marduk wrote:I would apply, but I don't think they'd take a UVU student.....
No, they'll only take BYU students. I asked once. :)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

It is too bad too, it could bring some much needed diversity of perspective.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Damasta wrote: P.S. Dead Cat, I think you mean <insert adjective that you think is most appropriate>. If you insert verbs (which would really be present participles, since the verb is "am"), you get such nonsense as:
  • I'm running that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm gulping that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm beating that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm existing that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
Though a few could work (albeit awkwardly):
  • I'm laughing that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm crying that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm chanting that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
But adjectives (especially adjectival participles, which are derived from verbs) give you a lot more flexibility:
  • I'm depressed (adjectival participle) that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm ecstatic (adjective) that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm concerned (adjectival participle) that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
    I'm intrigued (adjectival participle) that they've allowed Freshmen to become writers now.
See?
Oops. I guess my brain wasn't turned on when I wrote that. It happens sometimes. Thanks for the encouragement, though!
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I believe Tangerine was a board writer while still a Freshman back in 2005-2006. Lexi was also a Freshman when she started writing. Whistler had just finished her Freshman year.

As I recall the Board did have someone who was a student at UVU when werf became a Board writer. I can't remember for sure who it was.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

I was not a BYU student when I became a writer.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

What's the worst thing that can happen? A bunch of people you don't actually know tell you that they don't need your writing. Doesn't seem too bad to me.
Anomalous

Post by Anomalous »

Marduk wrote:It is too bad too, it could bring some much needed diversity of perspective.
I'll work on that...I used to be pretty good at getting that "other perspective" in there until I got overwhelmed with school.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Dear kid whose name I do remember but will not say here who conversed with me, Sheep, and Whistler for so long at the Board Booth and who doesn't contribute to this forum often but I know you're watching:

Please apply.

Sincerely,
Waldorf
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Hem. Yeah. Read what krebscout wrote wrong. Juuuuust kidding with what I wrote earlier. Well, I'm NOT, you should apply, person.
Last edited by TheBlackSheep on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

What are you guys talking about? Was that in today's posts?
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Darth Fedora wrote:What are you guys talking about? Was that in today's posts?
It's at the top of the page where they put announcements. I think you have to log in to see it? I don't know if that's true, since I think I've seen it on this computer (where I don't log in so I can stay logged in on the other one), but I don't see it now.

And maybe they just really, really don't want you to apply, so they custom-hid it from you. (I doubt that's the reason.)

I wish all applicants the best of luck! Even though the way they're calling for writers makes me worried we're going to have a ream of retirements...
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Well, I'll totally apply then. I suppose the worst that can happenj is getting rejected.
Sky Bones
Board Writer

Post by Sky Bones »

Do it. Apply. We have certain "rules" but we've been known to break them before. I for one definitely think we really need some variety...
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

vorpal blade wrote:I believe Tangerine was a board writer while still a Freshman back in 2005-2006. Lexi was also a Freshman when she started writing. Whistler had just finished her Freshman year.

As I recall the Board did have someone who was a student at UVU when werf became a Board writer. I can't remember for sure who it was.
Tangerine was a second-semester freshman, but Lexi was not a freshman as far as I remember (though she was fairly young, she'd been here for at least a year).

The person you're thinking of at UVU (then UVSC) was Lavish, I believe. There have been a couple others I can think of who also weren't BYU students when they joined the Board (like Humble Master, though he had graduated from BYU); however, the editors very recently tightened up that rule, so I'm doubtful that anyone who's not a current BYU student will be allowed through. (Sorry!) I suppose you could still try applying if you're not a BYU student, but know that your likelihood of rejection is probably high.

As far as diversity goes, you could make an argument that relaxing the BYU-only rule would help that out, but I honestly think we get pretty good diversity as it is. We're all over the spectrum politically, for instance (as evidenced by any posts regarding political events, and even a couple of charts), we have a broad range of personality types, etc.

On the other hand, making sure that everyone who's accepted is a BYU student helps promote a sense of camaraderie. Although we are not identical, we do have something that unites us, and I feel like that camaraderie is pretty essential to the Board's functioning. It just works better when you have something in common, and particularly when you can meet each other (which is encouraged by having most writers be around here). (Note that this represents my own feeling about the policies, not necessarily the actual reasoning used by the editors in implementing them.)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Sky Bones wrote:Do it. Apply. We have certain "rules" but we've been known to break them before. I for one definitely think we really need some variety...
So could I try to apply even thought I'm not a current BYU student? I was a BYU student for 7 years and I'm still a student somewhere! :)