SSRIs

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Damasta

SSRIs

Post by Damasta »

The paper that The Black Sheep mentioned, "Listening to Prozac but hearing placebo: A meta-analysis of antidepressant medication", has this disclaimer from the editor:
The article that follows is a controversial one. It reaches a controversial conclusion—that much of the therapeutic benefit of antidepressant medications actually derives from placebo responding. The article reaches this conclusion by utilizing a controversial statistical approach—meta-analysis. And it employs meta-analysis controversially—by meta-analyzing studies that are very heterogeneous in subject selection criteria, treatments employed, and statistical methods used. Nonetheless, we have chosen to publish the article. We have done so because a number of the colleagues who originally reviewed the manuscript believed it had considerable merit, even while they recognized the clearly contentious conclusions it reached and the clearly arguable statistical methods it employed.

We are convinced that one of the principal aims of an electronic journal ought to be to bring our readers information on a variety of current topics in prevention and treatment, even though much of it will be subject to heated differences of opinion about worth and ultimate significance. This is to be expected, of course, when one is publishing material at the cutting-edge, in a cutting-edge medium.

We also believe, however, that soliciting expert commentary to accompany particularly controversial articles facilitates the fullest possible airing of the issues most germane to appreciating both the strengths and the weaknesses of target articles. In the same vein, we welcome comments on the article from readers as well, though for obvious reasons, we cannot promise to publish all of them. (found here, and I think it's available to anyone)
So while the paper is innovative and thought-provoking, it is far from conclusive and should be taken with a grain of salt.

And if you know someone who is experiencing positive results with SSRIs, you certainly don't tell them about this paper because they could lose their placebo effect (which I don't tell my parents the truth about Airborne). In fact, you could create an anti-placebo effect by making them believe their drug (which is actually effective) is junk.
I am Ellipsissy...