Age Differences

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)

What is the maximum age difference you find acceptable?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:07 pm

0-5 years
28%
6-10 years
56%
11-15 years
17%
16-20 years
No votes
21-25 years
No votes
26-30 years
No votes
31-35 years
No votes
36+ years
No votes

Total votes: 18

Mischievous

Age Differences

Post by Mischievous »

Okay, I want to scream and yell right now! My boss came to my office today to let me know that one of the guys at work likes me and had asked my boss to hook him up on a date with me. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but this guy is getting close to retirement. It wasn't a joke either, he was serious! My boss is actually a little worried about this (not to mention, so am I). This guy is twice my age plus ten years!!!!! What on earth!?!?!?!? That's just plain old WRONG, maybe not legally but morally, ethically, something.
mabel

Post by mabel »

twice-your-age-plus-ten is obviously messed up...but i'm pretty sure that everyone agrees that generally the age difference thing is less significant as you get older, and more tends to be allowable when it's the man who is older...

frankly i seem to have had this problem in recent years of always being interested in guys who are a year or two younger than me...not like demi moore style or something...probably just because i was getting a bit old for provo and so most of the guys were younger...just a statistical likelihood... now that i'm out i'll have to see how that goes...still though, i'm into the second half of my 20s and 30 still seems old, even though it isn't really that many years...yikes!...so yeah, i voted 6-10, but really i'd hesitate to date anyone who is less than two years younger, or more than 6-7 years older than me...

anyway, filibuster over... this guy needs to get a grip and find somebody closer to his own age. i've got a single friend who's way cool and 30 and just broke up with her boyfriend. mabye we should try to set something up? but i hate that...
Last edited by mabel on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

for men, half your age plus 7.

thus, at 23, i could date a girl in her late 18s. don't want to though. 20 is about as low as i will go, unless she is really smokin.
kerouac jr

Post by kerouac jr »

i had a dream that i was 25 and dating an 18 year old

also, i had apparently served my mission in france, italy, spain, and morocco.
bad grammar makes me [sic]
bigthemat

Post by bigthemat »

i can't see moer than 5-10 years. over that it is a little iffy. for you, though, that is wicked creepy.
All music is folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing no song
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

For myself, at this point in time I think 10 years would be super pushing it.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Briar Rose

Post by Briar Rose »

what about 11 years, 11 months, and 8 days? because that's my current record. and he's my BEST friend
I will slay the dragon myself, thank you very much.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I know a couple who are 18 years apart. He's in his fifties, and she's not even 40 yet.

My best friends Grandfather was 27 years older than his second wife, myfriends grandmother.

My grandparents are ten years apart. That's as far as I'd be willing to go. He can be ten years older than me. Or up to two years younger than me. The two guys that people thought I was dating, one was a year younger than me, the other three months older than me. So personally I find I'm drawn more to the guys closer to me in age.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Here's the most bizarre one I've ever heard: I had a friend who I kind of dated whose brother (age 30) was married to his best friend's mom (age 65).
Portia

Post by Portia »

Both my great-grandma and mom married men younger than themselves (three and two years, respectively).

My grandma's second husband was 16 years old than her. Yikes!

The average difference for my boyfriends has been 11 months older than me. I think that the whole concept that girls are so much more mature than their male peers is a fallacy. Maybe guys are immature in different ways, but I certainly don't think I'm oh-so-much wiser than the guys my age, a thought which seems prevalent among silly freshman girls. I have heard that as a justification for girls dating older guys. Maybe it is true for some individuals, but I don't think it is generally.

I am a grade ahead, so it only makes sense to me that I would have dated guys about a year older than me. I can't see myself going more than 3 years younger or 3 years older.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I usually try to stay within five years buuut, since I want to date a guy 15 years older than me right now I decided to vote for that. My record for a date was 17 1/2 years older (I was closer in age to his kids than to him). I met him calling a wrong number so OF COURSE we had to go out.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

I didn't vote in the poll, because acceptable FOR ME and acceptable in general are two different things. I prefer someone fairly close to my age because of the whole shared cultural experiences sort of thing. (I'd hate to be involved with someone who never really lived the cold war, or who had actually been involved in the Viet Nam War era.) However, there are several couples out where with much larger age differences that get along quite well. (See Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones for a famous example.) It's very much an individual thing. That said, I'd be seriously creeped out if I were you.