Best Star Wars

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Damasta

Best Star Wars

Post by Damasta »

I agree with the writers' consensus that The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars episode.

And here's a shout-out to "and Sauron" for his defense of the Prequel Trilogy. I'll just add that Jar-Jar Binks, as annoying as he was, filled a Campbellian archetype (the fool), which George Lucas has professed an intentional concern for. His utility to the story as a whole is evidenced by the fact that Palpatine and his cronies are able to trick him into giving emergency powers to Chancellor Palpatine (the "dellow felegates" line). And I've heard a lot of people complain that the Anakin–Padmé romance was cheesy. Well, of course it was. Like "and Sauron" said, he'd been isolated in Jedi training and she's been caught up in politics for the last ten or so years. Sure they look like adults, but emotionally and romantically, he's still nine and she's still fourteen. Also, some of the deleted scenes shed additional light about why she ends up falling for him (family pressure and "lost-puppy syndrome").

My complaint about the original trilogy is that the dialogue, especially in Attack of the Clones, was overly didactic. I don't think there were any memorable lines from that film (please, correct me if I'm wrong).

To conclude, here is the order I esteem them in:
  • The Empire Strikes Back
    Revenge of the Sith
    A New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
Last edited by Damasta on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ellipsissy...
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

In my family, we are fans of Jar Jar. I'm a little nervous to say so, but we are.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:In my family, we are fans of Jar Jar. I'm a little nervous to say so, but we are.
Mine too, bob, mine too.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

I don't mind Jar-Jar, but I think it was a bit of a stretch to make him a Galactic Senator.
I am Ellipsissy...
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Damasta wrote:I don't mind Jar-Jar, but I think it was a bit of a stretch to make him a Galactic Senator.
Yes. Yes it was.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:
Damasta wrote:I don't mind Jar-Jar, but I think it was a bit of a stretch to make him a Galactic Senator.
Yes. Yes it was.
It was actually a crime against Gunganity.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Gimgimno wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:
Yes. Yes it was.
It was actually a crime against Gunganity.
That was terrible.

But really, I love all of those movies. Although going back to watch Phantom Menace shows how incredibly lame it was. (I may or may not have seen it upwards of 17 times in theaters alone.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

When it was in dollar theaters, we saw it every single weekend.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:But really, I love all of those movies. Although going back to watch Phantom Menace shows how incredibly lame it was.
Have you seen The Phantom Edit? It might redeem the film in your eyes. Might.
I am Ellipsissy...
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Oh, I'm also totally with Claudio that Hayden C——— should not have replaced Sebastian Shaw at the end scene of Return of the Jedi (see here). And I dearly miss "Yub Nub".
I am Ellipsissy...
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Oh I know! Though we called that song "Lug Nuts." We all sing it sometimes. Man, we loved that song. But my parents found out about the switch only after they had given their old movies to DI. : (