New words

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

New words

Post by Laser Jock »

While I was looking for a word in the OED I ran across a word I thought was pretty cool: quercivorous, a rare obsolete zoological adjective meaning "feeding on oak leaves." The OED returns 74 results for the query *vorous; although not all of them refer to eating something, most do. (Check them out if you're so inclined.) (One of my other favorites: fucivorous, meaning "eating, or subsisting on, seaweed." And it's not even listed as rare or obsolete!)

Other fun words, all of which mean (more or less) "someone who asks questions": querant/querent (I think querent is more common), querier, queror, questioner, and questionist. Some of those aren't too odd (querier, questioner), while others are a bit less common. (I think the first time I saw "querent" used was by Yellow a while back.)
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Since Quercus is the genus name for oaks, that makes sense. I suppose you could extend that as far as you want- if you feed on maple leaves, are you acerivorious?
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Wisteria wrote:Since Quercus is the genus name for oaks, that makes sense. I suppose you could extend that as far as you want- if you feed on maple leaves, are you acerivorious?
Probably, but the OED doesn't have it listed, so you'll be in even smaller company than with quercivorous. :)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

omphaloskepsis - self-absorption; the Greek is naval-gazing.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Zugzwang--where it you are at a serious disadvantage because it's your turn and you're required to move.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Xanthic--brownish yellow in color.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Callipygian-- ah, never mind....

LJ- I had to add querent into my firefox dictionary, as it didn't come up as correct -ent nor -ant.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Tao wrote:Callipygian-- ah, never mind....

LJ- I had to add querent into my firefox dictionary, as it didn't come up as correct -ent nor -ant.
Tao, you are my freaking hero.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

cacography - bad handwriting/spelling
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Esemplastic - shaping or having the ability to shape disparate things into a unified whole.