Introduce Yourselves!

Introduce yourself and meet other readers!
yayfulness
Board Writer

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Post by yayfulness »

What kind of humanitarian work do you want to do? (I want to work in international development, hence my curiosity.)
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

I honestly don’t know exactly what I want to do yet. Some of the projects I’ve heard about that intrigue me are water sanitation initiatives, affordable wheelchairs, affordable prosthetic devices, and (my favorite) playgrounds that produce renewable energy.

I don’t know a whole lot about international development, but I do realize the importance of promoting self-help rather than deus-ex-machina-type solutions. Sustainability is key! I also get nervous that we westerners sometimes end up imposing our culture where it neither needed nor wanted. People with the best intentions sometimes just go so far astray. Mostly I just want to be a help, not a hindrance. I’d be pretty content to just play with underprivileged kids and build wells all day.

What do you want to do with international development? Maybe we can team up and save the world together.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

I still know fairly little about what I want to end up doing. I know I want to work in Latin America, and I figure that the next couple years will give me a clearer picture of what I want to do. (I've only been in my major for a year.) Are you involved with Students for International Development? (And you're completely right, by the way. The issue isn't doing things for people, it's making it possible for them to do things for themselves.)
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

Evening classes have basically kept me from participating in clubs in past semesters. Students for International Development is definitely one I'm looking at for next semester, though. I know you guys are behind the annual Hunger Banquet, but what do you do on a week-to-week basis?

The first week I show up I'll probably be scoping everyone out, searching for guys that look like they would read the Board and know a lot of obscure songs.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Rather than keep occupying this thread, I'll message you all the relevant information. Short answer, we do a bunch of different things Fall semester and then spend all of Winter semester getting ready for the Hunger Banquet.
Concealocanth
Board Writer

Post by Concealocanth »

Hey guys!
...and girls!

...well, is 'guys' really gender-specific if it's a slang word derived from Guido Fawkes's nickname?

Anyway, I'm all registered and not just lurking, which is new. :)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Concealocanth wrote:Hey guys!
...and girls!

...well, is 'guys' really gender-specific if it's a slang word derived from Guido Fawkes's nickname?

Anyway, I'm all registered and not just lurking, which is new. :)
I usually use "guys" kind of like the French "ils" where it can refer to guys or mixed company, but not exclusively to girls.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I'm a fan of "kids." "Hey kids."
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Folks.

Welcome!
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Concealocanth wrote:Hey guys!
...and girls!

I'm going to say it depends on context. (Or maybe on number and person, intriguingly enough.)

Welcome!
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Fredjikrang wrote:Folks.

Welcome!
Y'all.

Welcome!
Giovanni Schwartz

Ooo or sometimes it's "gang."

Hey gang.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Hi board writer heaven citizens, I am S.A.M. S.A.M. I am. I like green eggs and ham, and bacon! I have been reading (lurking) the board (and this forum) more than 2 but less than 5 years, but only began asking questions this year, under a number of different 'nyms. I enjoy the association (even if it is rather peripheral on my part) with a group of intelligent, funny, good-looking, above average (isn't everyone?) people who have great, open discussions on such a variety of subjects. Graduated from BYU some time in the distant past, majored in Cartography.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

S.A.M. wrote:Hi board writer heaven citizens, I am S.A.M. S.A.M. I am. I like green eggs and ham, and bacon! I have been reading (lurking) the board (and this forum) more than 2 but less than 5 years, but only began asking questions this year, under a number of different 'nyms. I enjoy the association (even if it is rather peripheral on my part) with a group of intelligent, funny, good-looking, above average (isn't everyone?) people who have great, open discussions on such a variety of subjects. Graduated from BYU some time in the distant past, majored in Cartography.
Thank you for introducing yourself. Feel free to slightly integrate your association with people that frequent this forum.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Welcome Sandy Arenoso Magpies!

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. ;D But seriously, welcome!
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

You can major in cartography?! That's pretty cool...
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Emiliana wrote:You can major in cartography?! That's pretty cool...
Not anymore (at BYU, anyway). I'm pretty sure the current equivalent is Geographic Information Systems (my current minor, but I might make it my major). And yeah, it's awesome. :D
Watts

Post by Watts »

Hey everyone!

Some of you may already know this, but I've been a writer for about a year now. I am finally joining the ranks here on the board board and I'm really excited about that. I can't wait to start contributing to discussions and getting to know the readers better.
Giovanni Schwartz

Welcome, friend!
Watts

Post by Watts »

Thanks! Glad to be here :)