Introduce Yourselves!

Introduce yourself and meet other readers!
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I'm Marduk. My favorite hobby is thinking, usually about anything I deem of value, which includes politics, literature, art, philosophy, religion, epistemology and rationality, as well as many other topics. I've never met anyone that I haven't liked in some manner or another (although there certainly have been people who frustrate me) and have been told by others that I have a knack for seeing the best in people.

I'm very far to the left both politically and economically. My religion is by far the most important thing in my life, however, other than family, I have more friends out of the church than in. I enjoy cooking but would never consider it for a profession. I'm left handed, and once I get to know you, I enjoy tailoring my humor to what you find funny, which tends to mean the more you know me, the funnier you think I am.
Deus ab veritas
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Marduk wrote:I enjoy cooking but would never consider it for a profession.
I think you've said this before, and now I'm curious why you emphasize it. Have you considered it in the past? Or do other people often urge you to consider it?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Yes, I've been urged to pursue it. But it is just a hobby. My talents, and the Lord's expectations for my life, lie elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I think I'm a talented cook, but I think I'm more talented in other areas.
Deus ab veritas
Foreman

Re:

Post by Foreman »

Unit_of_Energy wrote:Welcome stargirl. I don't think I've ever met foreman, but I knew a girl who was in a class with him a few years back. She showed me a picture of him and then a week later foreman posted the same picture on the board.
Hmm...who was that? I feel like I've heard this story, but it's been a long time and I don't recall under what possible circumstances this would happen.
foe

Post by foe »

Hey I'm foe. I'm a BYU student but I am not in the country for some time. I am adventurous and creative and I loved exploring the Utah mountains while I was there. I love to read and I really love to learn new things. My favorite board questions are the ones that spark a quest or mission for the writers. And my favorite board answers are the short and strong answers that are a result of long and hard research. I consider myself to be extremely loyal, sometimes for no other reason than because it is just fun, so if any writers would like a personal fan - I volunteer.
Also, Jason Bourne is my hero.
Vorpal

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Post by Vorpal »

I was born in 1947 in Salt Lake City. The family moved to Ohio when I was a baby, and later moved to the Virginia suburbs of Washington D.C. I am the fourth child in a family of nine children.

At the age of nineteen I served a mission to Italy. It was a very new mission at that time.

In 1973 I married and we eventually had seven children, three boys and four girls. The boys and the oldest girl are now married, and I have three grandchildren with one on the way. My children range in age from 19 to 36.

In high school I was active in the chess club, with some involvement with the science club and junior varsity debate. I was on the BYU chess team and one year in a campus wide tournament I came in second.

I have always loved reading and currently I do some gardening. I have always been active in the Church.

I have worked for my current employer since 1975.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Welcome, foe.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Ha. That sounds like when I would say "hello, friend" or something like that, except you're already biased that you hate the poor chap.

Even though I know that's not what it is.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Oh hey, I haven't posted here yet. Maybe I should.

I just graduated from BYU and am having a really hard time finding a job, so I currently spend most of my time doing random stuff in my apartment. I am currently engaged, so a lot of that "random stuff" includes wedding planning and spending time with the other half. I am also an outdoors enthusiast, and I try to have a very active lifestyle. This includes running, hiking, and mountain biking, although I am open to trying new things (like right now, I'm really curious about sailing!). Um, I also enjoy eating a variety of meats, and I absolutely LOVE barbecue because I grew up in Texas. So there you have it.

I've been an avid reader of The Board for the past three or four years, and lately I've been trying to cut back. But it really is an addiction! Stop being so gosh-darn interesting!
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Hi I'm back. Miss me?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Craig Jessop wrote:Hi I'm back. Miss me?
Um, no?
Deus ab veritas
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I did!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I did too!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

So did I!
Carrapicho

Post by Carrapicho »

I wonder if I'm introducing myself preemptively, since I've only made a few comments on the board up until now. I'm Carrapicho (pronounced Cah-ha-PEE-shoo), a nicknamed I earned on my mission to Brazil. I graduated from BYU in a few years ago and have worked as a full-time secretary for the same institution since that time. My husband and I have been married going on four years now, and we have an adorable 2 year old son. We are all anxiously awaiting the time when said husband will graduate and begin his career, which will hopefully happen very soon (assuming someone will hire him).

I am originally from southern California, and I love the beach and the sun. Not so much a fan of snow. I play the piano and have limited knowledge of the organ, guitar, and flute. I've been following the board for around four or five years, but I've never become a stalker or anything. I don't know why I never came over here to the message board, because I've often had comments on questions that have been rejected for whatever reason. Better late than never, huh? :)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Welcome, Carrapicho! (Boy do you ever need a nickname. Or do I ever need a nickname for you.) Introducing yourself is actually a great thing to do when you've only done a few posts. The rest of us have only waited this long 'cause we just started this thread or something. I don't know.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Carrapicho

Post by Carrapicho »

Thanks, bob. You can call me whatever you want, honestly. I don't really care much about anonymity on here, so I'll just come out and say it: Carrapicho is Portuguese for burr (you know, like the little stickie thingies that get stuck to your socks when you walk through weeds), and Burr was my maiden name. The Brazilians thought it hilarious that that's what my name meant, and so they started calling me that after awhile. Hope you like the explanation. It's good to be here! I hope I don't cause too much conflict in the ranks...
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Hi! :)
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Carrapicho wrote:Thanks, bob. You can call me whatever you want, honestly. I don't really care much about anonymity on here, so I'll just come out and say it: Carrapicho is Portuguese for burr (you know, like the little stickie thingies that get stuck to your socks when you walk through weeds), and Burr was my maiden name. The Brazilians thought it hilarious that that's what my name meant, and so they started calling me that after awhile. Hope you like the explanation. It's good to be here! I hope I don't cause too much conflict in the ranks...
I'd love to call you Carra! In fact I probably will.
Carrapicho

Post by Carrapicho »

Hi, NerdGirl and C is for! I think Carra is a great nick-nickname. I look forward to getting to know you all soon! :)