Cake mix pancakes

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Darth Fedora

Cake mix pancakes

Post by Darth Fedora »

I almost asked if you can mix cake mix with just water and make pancakes out of it. The answer is that yes you can and they are awesome.

I didn't measure how much water I added, but the pancakes turned out the best when the batter was a little too thick to be easily poured, but still thin enough to be spooned into the pan. Also, these take a little longer to cook, so it's good if you put them on medium-low heat and let them hang out for a while. They don't really get bubbles, so you can't look for any bubble-related flipping cues. They're ready to flip when the edges look set.

But guys, these pancakes are seriously great. They're thick and fluffy, with the top and bottom still browned and crispy. And they're so moist and flavorful that you don't even need syrup.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Re: Cake mix pancakes

Post by yellow m&m »

What flavor cake mix did you use?
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Darth Fedora wrote: And they're so moist and flavorful that you don't even need syrup.
Fancy that, the thought that cake doesn't need syrup! Where have I been all my life? I think I'll give it a go. Mmmm.... and I thought I was innovative for putting chocolate chips in my pancakes.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

I tried it with butter pecan and with lemon. I thought the butter pecan worked a little better, but lemon was still excellent, especially with little chunks of strawberries mixed into the batter. Craig, you have a long ways to go before you reach my Sandra Lee level of culinary innovation.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Strawberries are AMAZING in pancakes. I also enjoy adding peaches and berries of all sorts.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I made pancakes once. They didn't turn out so well. I can make semi-impressive dinners, but when it came to the breakfast staple, I was lost.
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

I'm the same way with baking/desert stuffs. I can't cook cookies to save my life, but turkeys and all that jazz is no problem.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Oh the joys of cake mixes. I shall have to try cake mix pancakes. My current favorite thing is cake mix cookies. They take 5 minutes to throw together and are ridiculously delicious. The recipe card for this sits permanently on the island counter in my apartment.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I am very excited to try cake mix pancakes. Very. : D

I often make pancakes for breakfast anyway. Even completely from scratch they are quick and easy to make, and the smallest batch makes enough for me and my two youngest sisters (who invariably think that anything made to eat should be shared with them.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Cake mix cookies don't have a recipe card in my apartment, as I have my recipe memorized. I also have my chicken pot pie recipe memorized.

I love pancakes, but have been afraid to attempt them since my first experience with them.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Why haven't I seen these cake mix cookies recipes yet? You can't just bring them up and then not disclose their contents.
Indefinite Integral

Cake Mix Cookies:

1 cake mix (any flavor - I find chocolate to be especially pleasing)
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil

Mix ingredients together. Roll dough into walnut-shaped balls. Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes. Enjoy.

There you go, It's one of the simplest recipes I have.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

best thing i've ever done: cup of cake mix, 1/2 cup of water, microwave for 90 seconds. instant cake. bam.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

Bismark, I make that all the time! But I wasn't going to bring it up because it's super ghetto. Anyway.

I didn't know you could make cake mix cookies with oil...I've always done 1 cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 tub of cool whip, and then rolled them in powdered sugar before baking. It makes them fluffy and chewy. So good.
Indefinite Integral

Darth Fedora wrote:I didn't know you could make cake mix cookies with oil...I've always done 1 cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 tub of cool whip, and then rolled them in powdered sugar before baking. It makes them fluffy and chewy. So good.
Hmm....that sounds delicious. I'll have to try it next time cake mixes are on sale.