#59833 Move to the center of the row, please!

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

#59833 Move to the center of the row, please!

Post by vorpal blade »

It certainly is annoying to have the people who get there first take the seats near the aisle instead of being considerate of others and moving to the center. However, I can think of a few cases not mentioned in the 100 hour board answer where there is an excuse. Some people get claustrophobic, or get panic attacks if they are closed in on both sides. Perhaps this is the medical condition the snake whisperer mentioned, although claustrophobia wouldn't prevent you from standing up and sitting down repeatedly, so I think not. Some people have a legitimate reason to leave early and don't want to disturb others during the lecture. In church sometimes parents need to get up with a child who is causing a disturbance, and sitting near the end is helpful. Sometimes people sit in groups (in church, for example) and when the middle of the row is taken there is not enough room on the ends for the group to sit all together. I know the question is really about seating in classes at BYU, but perhaps the principle might apply in this situation as well.

The writers gave a number of other good things to think about. So it would probably be best if we assumed that those on the ends of the row had good and unselfish motives for doing what they are doing, rather than assuming the worst of them. That's what I've learned, and I try to remember it, but sometimes it is hard.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Re: #59833 Move to the center of the row, please!

Post by thebigcheese »

This is sort of a lame reason, but in many BYU classrooms, the only left-handed desks are the ones on the left end of the rows. As a lefty, I like to grab those seats when I can. I try not to be too obnoxious about it though. If there are available seats in the middle, I have no problem with sitting in the middle.

Slight tangent: I absolutely HATE when I have final exams in the JSB Auditorium. If there was ever a time when you have to step over an obnoxious number of people, that's gotta be the worst case ever. Not to mention the heat and claustrophobia in there. Ugh.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I sometimes sit on the ends of rows when I could sit more in the middle. But when I do, I do not open my laptop until class starts and, if I can, turn completely sideways when people need to get past me. I don't mind sitting in the middle though. At least not most of the time.

I am actually very surprised that the question asker got a sympathetic response instead of one of those Board Writer set-downs. Not that I think it was a bad thing, just that I was surprised.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I usually sit in the exact center of the row I choose. Actually, I try to sit in the exact center of the room. I get to class earlier than most people, so I don't climb over people.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Oft times, the second row is significantly longer than the first row, so sitting on the end of that row can be a good way to get an end without anyone stepping over you. Or you can just sit in the first row--instant solution!
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Before I found out I had celiac disease, I went through a period of time where I threw up a lot (I'm sure you wanted to know that!). So I always tried to find a seat that was as easy to escape from as possible in case I needed to run to the bathroom. Sometimes that meant I ended up sitting on the end of the row, although I liked those rooms in the MARB where they had doors at the top and then seats above that, so I could sit in the front row of those seats without having to climb over anyone or have anyone climb over me. Of course the very front row is easy to escape from, but that attracts way too much attention!
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

I sit on the edge because at the end of class, I don't like to wait for other people to file out ahead of me. For such an extremely minor inconvenience, I don't think I need any better reason than that.
The way I see it, if you like sitting on the aisle, you have to accept that people will be climbing over you to get to the other seats. Not a big deal. And if you come too late to get the aisle seats, or you like the middle, you have to accept that you'll have to scramble over people. Also not a big deal. Certainly not worth worrying about.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Darth Fedora wrote:I sit on the edge because at the end of class, I don't like to wait for other people to file out ahead of me. For such an extremely minor inconvenience, I don't think I need any better reason than that.
The way I see it, if you like sitting on the aisle, you have to accept that people will be climbing over you to get to the other seats. Not a big deal. And if you come too late to get the aisle seats, or you like the middle, you have to accept that you'll have to scramble over people. Also not a big deal. Certainly not worth worrying about.
This is pretty much exactly my opinion.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I don't mind using left-handed desks, as a righty, and I don't really understand why they aren't interchangeable.