Alias Record--60347

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Dead Cat
Completed

Alias Record--60347

Post by Dead Cat »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/60347/

This question was enlightening, but I feel that since the question said "alias" not "reader," it was not wholly answered. I think it would be fun(ny) if a bunch of readers combined their accounts under one 'nym for a day to break the record. Anyone interested? Or does anyone want to tell me some last words before Gimgimno dismembers me and any conspirators he hasn't scared away?
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
TheAnswerIs42

Re: Alias Record--60347

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Ahh, I see. So we could all plan to ask a question on . . . this Friday under the alias . . . Record Breaker?

Everybody brainstorm good ones, so we don't just waste the writer's time though. I'm all for breaking records, but I don't want to become the next NKOTB anoyance.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

a question? If you're trying to break records, why not each ask 7?

And I know it was just a typo, but I can't let it go: Just one writer's time. Because we all know (everybody together now) they are all Matt Meese.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Heh. This could be fun...
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Allow me to be an insufferable know-it-all for the second post in a row. *hem hem*

New Kid on the Block

(I love the search button.)

Edit: Now I'm an insufferable know-it-all for no apparent reason. My favorite! ;)
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

;)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Okay, if we do this, I think we should wait a hundred hours to clean out our pending qustions (I asked two earlier today before I made this thread, so I won't be clean until Sunday). I vote we all ask as many questions as possible this Monday as "Record Breaker." All in favor? Any opposed?
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I'm in favor!
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

How about you guys just shoot for twenty or so between the lot of you? That way you still break the record, but your faces don't get broken.

Just a suggestion.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

C is for wrote:a question? If you're trying to break records, why not each ask 7?
I thought the limit was 4, now . . .
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Yeah, last time I checked the limit was four.

Gimgimno probably is right about setting a limit on our questions. I think we ought to have a few ground rules:

1. Questions should not require oodles of research. Some is fine, but we're about to kill our writers with questions. Just don't ask them to conduct a chair census, okay?

2. Question type should be varied. Fun, smart, serious...but I'd advise against personal questions. We are a nebulous identity and must act as such.

3. Questions will be formatted in standard question format, ie.

Dear 100 Hour Board,

(My question here)

-Record Breaker

4. The question asking period will start on Monday November 8, 2010 at 12:01 am, Mountain Standard Time and will end at 11:59 pm on the same day.

5. When you have asked your questions, say so on this thread so we can keep a running total. The upper limit on the total shall be 20 questions unless someone has a very good reason to change it.

If anyone else can think of any more guidelines, do not hesitate to say so.

--Jasper Fforde
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Dead Cat wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/60347/

This question was enlightening, but I feel that since the question said "alias" not "reader," it was not wholly answered. I think it would be fun(ny) if a bunch of readers combined their accounts under one 'nym for a day to break the record. Anyone interested? Or does anyone want to tell me some last words before Gimgimno dismembers me and any conspirators he hasn't scared away?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Since there are no reader aliases anymore, I couldn't break it up any further than by reader. Also, I think you're confusing "alias" with "signature"; I was going by the actual person who asked the question (as tracked by the Board), not by whatever signature happened to come at the end of the question. (I guess I can see why you'd conflate the two, now that the Board doesn't let readers have aliases in the system, but they're two very different things as far as the Board system is concerned.)

Of course, if you all want to ask questions and sign them the same way, that's fine, but you're talking about a different record than I was answering about. They'll have been asked by different people, and how you sign them doesn't change that.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

LJ, just be glad that I am personally against having extra accounts or I would send in a bajillion questions myself.

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Are we still doing this? I totally forgot about it until now . . .
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Katya wrote:Are we still doing this? I totally forgot about it until now . . .
I forgot too. I also spent most of the day traveling.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

If we decide to still do it, I'm in.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

OK, let's officially say we're still doing it, and I'll go submit the first question, now.

ETA: we are now 1 for 20
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

FYI, there are currently 7 questions signed "Record Breaker" in the inbox, all asked within the last hour or so. So make that 7/20.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

Dead Cat wrote:LJ, just be glad that I am personally against having extra accounts or I would send in a bajillion questions myself.
You should be glad that you're against having extra accounts yourself. We recently deleted a bunch of questions and accounts from a wisecheese who thought he could exceed the question limit.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I've asked my four questions, yet when I clicked on the "Ask a Question" button again, it didn't say I hit my limit. Should I ask more?

--Jasper Fforde