Dear Less Than 100 Board

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Dear Less Than 100 Board

Post by Craig Jessop »

What is the definition of "advanced undergraduate?" I see it all the time when I register for classes and look for conferences and seminars to attend.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Dear Less Than 100 Board

Post by Katya »

The problem with the "less than 100 [hour] board" is that we don't guarantee an answer to your questions.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Um, a junior or senior? A certain number of credits? (Probably over 60, or maybe 90.)

Ta-da. Answer attempted.
Tao

Post by Tao »

In the context I'm used to seeing it, it tends to refer to graduate courses that allow interested undergrads to attend. While just about any class could fall under that category they often require the professor's ok first. Perhaps these annotations are a pre-emptive ok?
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tao wrote:In the context I'm used to seeing it, it tends to refer to graduate courses that allow interested undergrads to attend. While just about any class could fall under that category they often require the professor's ok first. Perhaps these annotations are a pre-emptive ok?
Or maybe demonstrating that you are an "[intellectually] advanced undergraduate" is part of asking for the professor's permission? Regardless, I've always been under the impression that it wasn't an official status or designation (unlike "sophomore" or "student in good standing"), just a descriptor. BUT, I'm not sure of that. (I'd actually be curious to know what the venerable 100 Hour Board can dig up on the matter.)