Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Re: Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Post by thebigcheese »

Hmm...this could work. We're already thinking about a trip to NYC in the not-so-distant-future (next fall?), so Cedar Point might have to wait. I'm pretty sure there's some parks within a reasonable distance of NYC though. Oh, how I would love to visit them...

I'm still sad that they tore down the Six Flags in my hometown. Some of my happiest memories were there, including my last weekend before leaving for college. They thought they could make more money from selling the land and rides. And then the land went for for like 1/5 of what they were expecting. Idiots... Pretty sure they fired the guy behind that operation.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

thebigcheese wrote:We're already thinking about a trip to NYC in the not-so-distant-future (next fall?), so Cedar Point might have to wait.
IF YOU GO TO NYC LET ME KNOW!!! It's the greatest city in the world.

Anyway, there's a Six Flags in New Jersey. It's close enough to the city that a disobedient missionary was able to make it there, enjoy himself, and back in one day. http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/index.aspx
mic0

Post by mic0 »

When I was little we went to that Six Flags in NJ all the time! Oh, the memories.

Edit: I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think I like roller coasters, though. 'Cause I don't. But there are lots of other fun things there, especially for a six year old.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

thebigcheese wrote:You know you need to get a life when you start thinking it might be fun to pre-wash your new bag of potatoes.

New lows...
Don't do it! It is bad for them. Also don't pre-rinse your strawberries before you plan to use them. Unless you are able to completely absolutely dry them afterward, the moisture will accelerate all sorts of bad things.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Good to know! I only washed four of them, and I've already used three of those...so they're probably okay.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Craig Jessop wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:We're already thinking about a trip to NYC in the not-so-distant-future (next fall?), so Cedar Point might have to wait.
IF YOU GO TO NYC LET ME KNOW!!! It's the greatest city in the world.

Anyway, there's a Six Flags in New Jersey. It's close enough to the city that a disobedient missionary was able to make it there, enjoy himself, and back in one day. http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/index.aspx
Do you have a connection to NYC? We don't really know much about the place, beyond the obvious landmarks (Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc). If you have any suggestions on places to visit, we'd love to hear them. Especially restaurant recommendations. Mmm...
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I served my mission there.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

COOL. I always thought that would be one of the more interesting missions...due to location, demographics, etc.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

My son threw our netbook off the balcony today, and it landed on the tile below. It starts up, but my husband is less than pleased. Arg!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Oh no!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Shoot, that sucks!!
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

You hopefully already figured this, but hard drives don't tend to like impacts like that. I'd make very sure you have anything valuable backed up (hopefully you've already been doing this, on a regular basis...), because the hard drive may fail sooner rather than later.

Or it could have a long and happy life. I wouldn't take chances, though.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Thankfully, there's nothing worth backing up on there. We have a desktop we use for 90% of things, and the netbook was for playing movies for the kids on the airplane and surfing the internet around the house. I think the internals weren't too damaged, suprisingly. It's just the physical dent and broken outer plastic. The amazing part, to me, was that the screen survived. We'll see how long it lasts. Might need some duct tape or something though. We'll see what my husband does with it.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I couldn't resist putting it off: I just read Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens and I think it's my favorite of the series thus far.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

I have applied to work for the most picky company ever. I filled out an online application, then went through a phone interview, then an hour long interview with the regional manager, then another interview with the manager I'd be working under. And now they want ANOTHER full interview with the assistant manager.

To be fair, it sounds like they're hoping I'll replace the assistant manager when a series of promotions goes down in the next year or so. But still. FOUR interviews?
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

If you've made it through all the interviews thus far they must like you for the position though.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Update: A different manager also called me and wants to interview me for his location. I figured it's best to keep my options open, so I'm gonna do that one as well, I guess. That brings the grand total to five, but technically this is for two separate positions now...

*sigh* I'm running out of good interview clothes. But I really, really can't complain. It's nice to feel like I'm in demand, after so long of getting passed over. :D
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Dead Cat wrote:I couldn't resist putting it off: I just read Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens and I think it's my favorite of the series thus far.
I'm excited to read this one! Y'know, when I find some time. And the book. So… probably not till January.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Right now I'm making a gluten-free angel food cake with brown sugar-almond whipped cream.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I miss vorpal blade.