5 senses

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Dragon Lady

5 senses

Post by Dragon Lady »

I'm working on my sharing time lesson for tomorrow. I'm starting out by talking about the 5 senses. I want to take in an object that they can use all 5 senses on. I was thinking something like salt. In a container they can shake it and hear it. They can see it. They can touch it and taste it. But they can't really smell it. Can you think of something I could take that'd fit all five senses? (That is reasonable to get on a Saturday night (preferably something I already have) and is reasonable to give to kids. So not a lot of sugar or allergens like nuts.)
Dead Cat
Completed

Re: 5 senses

Post by Dead Cat »

How about hot cocoa mix? Or some other dry mix like soup? Or maybe bread with crunchy crust?
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

How about salt with some cinnamon mixed in? You would definitely smell it, and it's sugar free. It wouldn't exactly taste good, but you could use all five senses on it.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Popcorn
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

krebscout wrote:Popcorn
Hah! This just reminded me of how popcorn is illegal in the library break rooms because the smell wafts through the entire library. :)
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

do you have garlic salt? that would definitely fix the smell issue.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

This is the opposite of helpful, but did you know there are more than five senses? I learned this last summer in some literature to help kids with developmental delays (like my son). One of them is our hand/eye coordination - that you can sense where you hand is in space, even if you can't see it or feel it. The other one is your sense of balance, that your mind can sense if you are tipping and how to correct it. They were pointing it out because, just like some people have a better sense of smell than others, some people are better at those two than others. And occasionally some people have a lot of problems with one or the other. But both of those are ways that our body senses things in the environment.

On the helpful side, I vote hot cocoa mix. It might not make a loud noise, but it will smell and taste good.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I'm reminded of this song.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I miss that show SO much.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I ended up doing the hot cocoa mix. I'm pretty sure the kids enjoyed that a lot more than salt. Which I kind of wanted to do for my rowdy boys. :D Though, half of my rowdy boys weren't even there, so I guess this was much better. And it went over really well. Thanks for the idea!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:This is the opposite of helpful, but did you know there are more than five senses? I learned this last summer in some literature to help kids with developmental delays (like my son). One of them is our hand/eye coordination - that you can sense where you hand is in space, even if you can't see it or feel it. The other one is your sense of balance, that your mind can sense if you are tipping and how to correct it.
I've heard the first one called "proprioception." (Oliver Sacks has an interesting story about a woman who actually lost her sense of proprioception in The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.) Is the second considered a subtype of the first, or is it considered a different sense entirely?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Yes- the first one is proprioception. (I just dug up the pamphlets I got last summer.) The literature I got talks about how some kids have a tough time with it, and how having them carry heavy things or push heavy things can help them sense where their hands are over time. They also used weighted blankets. They called the second one vestibular.
The vestibular system involves information about balance and changes in position of the head, neck and eyes. Someone with vestibular hypersensitivity will experience gravitational insecurity. You will have difficulty on stairs and on escalators. You may develop motion sickness easily. Someone with vistibular hyposensitivity will seek movement and be in constant motion. You may prefer linear movement, such as rocking or swinging, or you may prefer spinning instead.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Distinct from proprioception is the second one 42 mentioned, which is equilibrioception, and also includes sense of acceleration (close your eyes in the car next time, preferrably when someone else is driving, and see if you can feel when the car accelerates and decelerates.) Also, there is nociception (pain sensation) and temperature (thermoception).

Interesting to note here as well is that there are not 4 different primary tastes, as we all learned in grade school, but five. In addition to salty, sweet, bitter, and sour, there is savoriness, or "meaty."
Deus ab veritas
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Marduk wrote:In addition to salty, sweet, bitter, and sour, there is savoriness, or "meaty."
I believe the technical name is "umami"
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Yes- the first one is proprioception. (I just dug up the pamphlets I got last summer.) The literature I got talks about how some kids have a tough time with it, and how having them carry heavy things or push heavy things can help them sense where their hands are over time. They also used weighted blankets.
I'd heard of autistic kids liking weighted blankets, but I'd never made the connection with proprioception. Interesting!
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Marduk wrote:Interesting to note here as well is that there are not 4 different primary tastes, as we all learned in grade school, but five. In addition to salty, sweet, bitter, and sour, there is savoriness, or "meaty."
Along the same lines, I was taught in grade school that different parts of your tongue are responsible for different tastes (e.g., one part tastes salty stuff, another tastes sweet stuff, etc.). I think most people were taught the same thing. But, it turns out that's total bunk. (If that claim upsets anyone and the Wikipedia sources aren't enough, I'm sure I could find other sources.)
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Laser Jock wrote:Along the same lines, I was taught in grade school that different parts of your tongue are responsible for different tastes (e.g., one part tastes salty stuff, another tastes sweet stuff, etc.). I think most people were taught the same thing. But, it turns out that's total bunk. (If that claim upsets anyone and the Wikipedia sources aren't enough, I'm sure I could find other sources.)
I DID know that. Because you answered my question about it four years ago. Apparently that is a myth you enjoy debunking. :)
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

ahem. wrote:I DID know that. Because you answered my question about it four years ago. Apparently that is a myth you enjoy debunking. :)
Haha, I forgot I'd already answered a Board question about it. :) And yes, I very much enjoy fighting misinformation, particularly when it's (a) very provably wrong, and (b) related to science. :)
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

And (c) absurd. Seriously, why would different parts of the tongue relate to different foods? I'm pretty sure that no matter where I put something, I can taste it. It reminds me of my fifth grade science teacher who told us the seasons were due to the Earth wobbling back and forth in space.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:It reminds me of my fifth grade science teacher who told us the seasons were due to the Earth wobbling back and forth in space.
*Facepalm* How did a science teacher manage to fail basic Physical Science?

--Jasper Fforde