Cleaning my laptop screen

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Cleaning my laptop screen

Post by Katya »

What's the best way to do it?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Cleaning my laptop screen

Post by Marduk »

If it isn't too dirty, the best way to do it is with a dry lint-free cloth. If it is more dirty, you'll have to entertain some other, more potentially hazardous methods.
Deus ab veritas
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Marduk wrote:If it is more dirty, you'll have to entertain some other, more potentially hazardous methods.
This type of method is of interest to me as well.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

What I've done is turn off my laptop, get a lint-free cloth (a burp/cloth diaper, actually) very very lightly damp, and then gently wipe off the screen. Speaking of which, I should totally clean my screen.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

My laptop tends to join me in the kitchen a lot more often than would be deemed "technologically responsible." The amount of flour and salsa my laptop has seen... I should probably be banned from ever owning expensive electronic equipment.

In summation: I'm not sure a damp cloth is gonna cut it for me, but I know chemical-based cleaners would probably be bad for the screen... yes?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:What I've done is turn off my laptop, get a lint-free cloth (a burp/cloth diaper, actually) very very lightly damp, and then gently wipe off the screen. Speaking of which, I should totally clean my screen.
I've done that, but it seems to get it streaky.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Rubbing alcohol can be used as long as you're extremely careful not to get it into any crevices.
Deus ab veritas
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

The safest way to go is to look up and follow the manufacturer's recommendations. There are different types of screen materials (or at least different types of coatings), so what works for one may not work for another. For instance, my former laptop (a Dell) said to clean it using a lint-free cloth and a 50% solution of isopropyl alcohol (which I got by mixing two parts of 70% isopropyl with 1 part water). My current laptop, an old Mac Powerbook, says not to use anything besides plain water. I live on the wild side and use a very dilute solution of dish soap and water (with a very well-wrung-out washcloth), and dry the screen with a microfiber cloth afterward.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:For instance, my former laptop (a Dell) said to clean it using a lint-free cloth and a 50% solution of isopropyl alcohol (which I got by mixing two parts of 70% isopropyl with 1 part water).
Um, that's a 46.66666% solution. Which is completely wrong!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

if you accidentally get alcohol in the computer it should be fine as long as it's off and it can air out (evaporate)