Conference

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.

Which was your favorite session of conference?

Saturday Morning
27%
Saturday Afternoon
7%
Priesthood
13%
Sunday Morning
7%
Sunday Afternoon
47%

Total votes: 15

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Conference

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:If he isn't blown away on his first date, then obviously nothing is going to work and they're "just buds".
Eesh. That's a bad precedent.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:If he isn't blown away on his first date, then obviously nothing is going to work and they're "just buds".
Agreed. I keep trying to tell him that Yellow and I knew each other for 8 months before either of us ever even considered dating the other. That sometimes you just have to get to know a person before you realize that you like them romantically. But he's got it in his head that he needs fireworks. He's as bad as most stereotypical girls. :) (To give him some credit, he does sometimes make it to a second, and very rarely a third date. He even has had a girlfriend or two in the past couple of years. Which gives us some hope.)
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I am very close to two gentlemen, and one of the hardest things is knowing that I can't keep them to myself. I try to encourage them to date, but they seem quite content to come to my apartment every night to do homework and eat. This conference reminded me that I should be encouraging them to meet more people. Not that I wouldn't mind if one of them started asking me on dates, but since that isn't really what he's interested in right now I'm struggling to figure out how to encourage them without destroy our friendships. I think the other gentleman is dating, although the three states between us makes such knowledge difficult.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Katya wrote:
Agreed. I keep trying to tell him that Yellow and I knew each other for 8 months before either of us ever even considered dating the other. That sometimes you just have to get to know a person before you realize that you like them romantically. But he's got it in his head that he needs fireworks. He's as bad as most stereotypical girls. :) (To give him some credit, he does sometimes make it to a second, and very rarely a third date. He even has had a girlfriend or two in the past couple of years. Which gives us some hope.)
There were a lot of marriages in my tiny Illinois ward. (And by "a lot," I mean that maybe 5-10% of the people in the ward ended up marrying other people in the ward, which I think is significant in a ward that generally had fewer than 100 active members.)

A friend of mine had (ever-so-helpfully) told me that people in tiny midwestern wards frequently "settled" for other ward members, but what I saw of those relationships couldn't have been farther from settling. I attribute it to having a chance to get to know the other ward members over a long period of time (the ward was very stable, since it was the only singles ward in the county), which led to people growing and changing to be more compatible with each other, or at least having plenty of opportunities to revise first impressions. (There may also have been some preselection at play, since the ward was mostly comprised of grad students.)

Ironically, this type of situation is one reason that I'm not opposed to co-ed "hanging out" as a way of getting to know a broad spectrum of people in low-pressure situation, although I concede that there are those who get stuck in one sort of relationship pattern and have trouble moving to a more committed level.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Katya wrote:
I know someone exactly like that. What are the odds it's the same person?
Tao

Post by Tao »

Defy V wrote:I know someone exactly like that. What are the odds it's the same person?
I'd say the odds are there, but not as great as may appear at first blush. I can think of a couple of guys that fit the description fairly well.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Tao wrote:
Defy V wrote:I know someone exactly like that. What are the odds it's the same person?
I'd say the odds are there, but not as great as may appear at first blush. I can think of a couple of guys that fit the description fairly well.
Hence the conference talks.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Knowing the guy, it wouldn't surprise me one whit to find out that you know him. He's a very popular guy.
Quiet Lamb

Post by Quiet Lamb »

So after posting, I read a quick read that we had around our house called, "Rules of Engagement" by Stephanie Fowers, with the setting of the book being BYU. It pretty much outlines why, in the author's mind, guys can be non-committal from a narrative perspective. Maybe general authorities are getting wind of more books like this (I hear this one is sold at BYU bookstore and Deseret Book) that are all based on the authors' personal experiences. It gave a humorous new light to the subject, anyway.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I'd like to point out that Provo is a different environment from most other places in terms of dating. I've been in Salt Lake for two years and most of my friends are between 25 and 35 and single. For the size of the ward and the number of young single adults, a depressingly small amount of dating goes on. And Salt Lake still has a relatively high percentage of active LDS people per capita. So don't forget that the Conference talks aren't just being geared towards the singles in Provo.
Also, all the music was phenomenal. "I know that my Savior loves me" is a beautiful song and Ryan Murphy did a great job arranging it. I liked the music for the Sunday afternoon session best, though.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Pre-emptive thread resurrect for the purposes of the October 2011 Conference sessions.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

What do you think they will name the new temple? Provo South? Provo Tabernacle Temple? That's a mouthful- Taberna-Temple? There's a good nickname out there, I know it.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Depending on how they do the districts, it could be the BYU Temple.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:What do you think they will name the new temple? Provo South? Provo Tabernacle Temple? That's a mouthful- Taberna-Temple? There's a good nickname out there, I know it.
Some of my friends have started speculating on a facebook thread. My favorite so far is the "Premplenacle." If it were in a neighborhood with a nice name I'd guess that, but Central Business District Temple just doesn't do much for me.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Provo 2.0? ;)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

The guy in the Civil Engineering seminar earlier this week said he knew what was happening with the tabernacle and wasn't allowed to talk about it...
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

OOoh! They are bringing back the central tower!
http://newsroom.lds.org/article/new-tem ... nd-wyoming

(And . . . erasing the NewSkin building? LOL.)
I was wondering if they were planning to close off the street to connect it to the property they just bought, but that doesn't show up in the picture.
Last edited by TheAnswerIs42 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

haha. It looks gorgeous, thanks for sharing the link!
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

This is why I think we should do away with the names and just start numbering the temples. Would be much simpler.
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Marduk wrote:This is why I think we should do away with the names and just start numbering the temples. Would be much simpler.
Are you kidding me? No one knows numbers any more. Not even phone numbers of people you know well and call often.