Conference

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.

Which was your favorite session of conference?

Saturday Morning
27%
Saturday Afternoon
7%
Priesthood
13%
Sunday Morning
7%
Sunday Afternoon
47%

Total votes: 15

NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: Conference

Post by NerdGirl »

Wait, did Elder Holland speak in the priesthood session? Does that mean he's not speaking tomorrow? Because I'm not going to be happy if he's not speaking tomorrow.
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

He did. The video's already up on lds.org, if you'd like to watch it. Fair warning, though, it was perhaps the least Relief-Society-esque talk of conference so far.

(By which I refer to an observation DL and I have made: When speaking to the Relief Society, general authorities tend to praise the women for how wonderful they are. The women then feel inspired to live up to the praise they've received. When speaking to the Priesthood, general authorities tend to tell them "Hey! Wake up! You guys are doing it all wrong and you need to fix it!". And then the brethren, hopefully, wake up and fix it.)

It was fantastic. :)
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Yellow, your comment reminds me of this: http://middle-agedmormonman.blogspot.co ... rs-in.html

I'm curious how women would even react if we got chastisement from, say, President Uchtdorf. We get a little bit from Sister Beck, but it seems like we respond much better to positive reinforcement.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I need to watch Preisthood session, actually. My husband was in the choir, and apparently he even got on screen!
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I was involved in Conference today- I ended up talking to my cousin until 12:30 AM last night and then I had to be in the Conference Center by quarter to 7 this morning. It's been a long day. A lot of people put in a lot of time so we can have General Conference.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I enjoyed Uchtdorf's talk most. I have seen some lighthearted kvetching on other blogs about his piloting obsessions, but for people whose spirit lives are grounded in the material world (like me) and who are actually interested in careers, science, foreign countries, I just have to say that the man strikes me as a wonderful orator, a very kind person, and a good representative of the LDS church. Airplanes are real, concrete, and very 21st century: always something I can learn from him!
Architect

Post by Architect »

Piloting is (was) his life, so why wouldn't he talk about it? I also got a lot out of his talk. Time to go re-watch it...
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

He has been known to go sit in the cockpit when he's taking the private jet that John Huntsman, Sr. donated for the use of the leadership of the church. I went to a fireside given by the pilot of that plane- apparently his co-pilot was freaking out a little to have a member of the First Presidency casually sitting behind him.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Also listened to Vergissmichnicht and Road to Damascus from last April. all were extremely touching & sane. I really appreciate his theme of "you are a worthwhile person."