#63933 Memory

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Digit

#63933 Memory

Post by Digit »

Re: Question 63933, speaking of memory, from this: "When we know where to find information, we're less likely to remember it" Maybe the Internet is influencing people not to remember things themselves, but to remember how to find things using the same kind of search techniques we use all the time on sites like Google.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: #63933 Memory

Post by Katya »

I definitely know fewer phone numbers than I used to.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

ok! ok! I am excited about this. I have this theory that because we never spoke Latin in my classes, I never learned it very well (because why learn the ablative plural when you can look it up?). But to really speak a language fluently, you have to memorize it. So I look forward to the day when someone can teach me to speak Latin.
Architect

Post by Architect »

I think it's useful for me to not have to memorize everything in some contexts. If I had to memorize the entire Java programming language I'm pretty sure my head would explode. Having the Java documentation online is extremely useful. Because I don't have to spend time memorizing class and method names, I can focus more on how I actually want to design my code.

At the same time, if I'm going to use something a lot (in programming), I'll usually just memorize it.