Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Digit

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Digit »

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Digit

Post by Digit »

The score in this Japanese Star Wars Episode VII ad is almost Lord of the Ringsy to me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

This site is more fun than it should be.
Digit

Post by Digit »

The recurrent laryngeal nerve got caught on the wrong side of the aorta long, long ago and now represents an up to 15' detour in giraffes.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting. Hydrox is the original and Oreo was the knockoff. Now the original's back.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I've been watching Downton Abbey for the first time and THEY KILLED MATTHEW CRAWLEY RIGHT AFTER HIS SON WAS BORN AND I AM SO UPSET THIS IS WORSE THAN FRED IN HARRY POTTER OH MY GOODNESS.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I heard it was because the actor didn't want to do anymore seasons :-(
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Zedability wrote:I've been watching Downton Abbey for the first time and THEY KILLED MATTHEW CRAWLEY RIGHT AFTER HIS SON WAS BORN AND I AM SO UPSET THIS IS WORSE THAN FRED IN HARRY POTTER OH MY GOODNESS.
I actually had no idea they killed him off because it was in a Christmas episode or something and I thought the season had already ended. But then I was out to lunch with my mom and aunts and they brought it up and I was like WHAT.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Hahaha yeah I find it weird how their Christmas specials always contain key plot points
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Zedability wrote:I've been watching Downton Abbey for the first time and THEY KILLED MATTHEW CRAWLEY RIGHT AFTER HIS SON WAS BORN AND I AM SO UPSET THIS IS WORSE THAN FRED IN HARRY POTTER OH MY GOODNESS.
This was basically the worst thing. :(
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Whistler wrote:I heard it was because the actor didn't want to do anymore seasons :-(
I hate that. I hate it when they kill off characters, anyway, but if they're planning to do it from the start, at least they tend to set it up better.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Now I'm on Season 6 and I have such conflicted feelings about Thomas Barrow :/
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Just started reading a book written by my cousin! Wish me luck :P (it's called the Kings' promise, so far okay but it is just weird to think my younger cousin wrote this.)
Digit

Post by Digit »

That's neat, mic0. Was it self published through something like Lulu or Amazon Kindle Direct, or through a real publisher?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

She self published with something called createspace. I have the physical book, which she got on shelves in a few slc bookstores.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Just finished Life, the Universe, and Everything and now going to start So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I'm watching M*A*S*H on Netflix. I remember watching a handful of episodes when I was in middle or high school, but here are some things that I definitely did not catch when I was a kid:
1. The writing is PHENOMENAL. Almost every line is a gem.
2. The misogyny. The rape culture. Eeeeesh. Just because you're a surgeon and she's a nurse does not mean she wants you. And when she says "no" that does not secretly mean "yes please keep trying." Ugh. (When I was a kid I noticed that there was a lot of sexual joking, but at that time I didn't differentiate between "oh no this show has sex it's inappropriate" and "this woman has absolutely no agency in this sexual situation.")
3. The intensity of the anti-war satire.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Emiliana wrote:I'm watching M*A*S*H on Netflix. I remember watching a handful of episodes when I was in middle or high school, but here are some things that I definitely did not catch when I was a kid:
1. The writing is PHENOMENAL. Almost every line is a gem.
2. The misogyny. The rape culture. Eeeeesh. Just because you're a surgeon and she's a nurse does not mean she wants you. And when she says "no" that does not secretly mean "yes please keep trying." Ugh. (When I was a kid I noticed that there was a lot of sexual joking, but at that time I didn't differentiate between "oh no this show has sex it's inappropriate" and "this woman has absolutely no agency in this sexual situation.")
3. The intensity of the anti-war satire.
Hey, I'm watching this show right now too! It is one of my favorites. You're right about every point (although I think the writing improved as the show went on. Frank Burns is a terrible character overall, and both BJ and Potter are vast improvements over Trapper and Henry Blake.)

The main think I don't like about the show is how much it centers on Hawkeye. The other character's storylines are frequently much better and have more depth (I especially think that's true of all the class commentary that goes into Charles/Klinger interactions.)
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Colbert still has the spark. Only getting into his new show now, and this clip is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8zBDMypSgE
Portia

Post by Portia »

TWIN PEAKS IS ON HULU THERE GOES EVERYTHING