Mary Poppins

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

Mary Poppins

Post by Portia »

Has anyone else seen the production that is touring here in Salt Lake? I enjoyed the effects, and the character of Mr. Banks was well fleshed-out, but how they reduced Mrs. Banks from dauntless suffragist to simpering post-feminist SAHM made me see red. I feel that the 1960s film was closer to the Edwardian Era: I don't see why we should be offended that well-off women of the time ignored their offspring, by and large. Just how it was; pendulum's swung back the other way. Taking away one of the best Disney songs ever . . . >.<

Bert tap dancing on the ceiling was pretty rad, though.
Dead Cat
Completed

Re: Mary Poppins

Post by Dead Cat »

I haven't seen the musical version, but I do have the soundtrack and have an idea of what you're talking about. I think they did it so you could watch her develop as a character from someone flighty to being a support for Mr. Banks.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dead Cat wrote:I haven't seen the musical version, but I do have the soundtrack and have an idea of what you're talking about. I think they did it so you could watch her develop as a character from someone flighty to being a support for Mr. Banks.
I guess how I don't see "retired actress, bad at acting" is more or less flighty than "Lucille Ball-esque first wave feminist." The character simply had a lot more resonance for me, personally, when she has a purpose outside of a man. That's pretty rare in a Disney work, and I'd love my own (future) daughter to ask me, "Mom, who's Mrs. Pankhurst?" The New York Times review spoke of the show's Americanization and Dr.-Phil-icization, and I think it's pretty on-base.

What is your favorite new song? The most glaring omission, in your opinion? Least favorite new song? (The toy sequence is insufferable, in my opinion: "Playing the Game.")
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Portia wrote:
Dead Cat wrote:I haven't seen the musical version, but I do have the soundtrack and have an idea of what you're talking about. I think they did it so you could watch her develop as a character from someone flighty to being a support for Mr. Banks.
I guess how I don't see "retired actress, bad at acting" is more or less flighty than "Lucille Ball-esque first wave feminist." The character simply had a lot more resonance for me, personally, when she has a purpose outside of a man. That's pretty rare in a Disney work, and I'd love my own (future) daughter to ask me, "Mom, who's Mrs. Pankhurst?" The New York Times review spoke of the show's Americanization and Dr.-Phil-icization, and I think it's pretty on-base.

What is your favorite new song? The most glaring omission, in your opinion? Least favorite new song? (The toy sequence is insufferable, in my opinion: "Playing the Game.")
Well, like I said, I haven't seen it, so I'll reserve further judgments on Mrs. Banks until then.

Judgments on the music however...

I like "Brimstone and Treacle Part 2." That sounds like a really fun duet to do. I also liked the changes to "Feed the Birds." I never really cared for the movie version, but the musical one is cool, especially with the bells section. And I like how I can now spell Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious fast out loud (although I never figured out how to say it backwards). "Playing the Game" isn't on the soundtrack, so no opinion there. It replaced "Temper, Temper" which I like (I don't know why I like creepy music...I get freaked out with so many movies to the point of running from the room), but it doesn't really seem like something Mary Poppins would do. Then again, the kid's verse in "Jolly Holiday" makes them act pretty jerkish. And "Prectically Perfect" takes Julie Andrew's simple statement (and she was just reading the *impartial* tape measure) and makes it more "look at me! I'm perfect!" Still, I generally found the music to be quite enjoyable. Although there is a place in my heart that misses the tea party on the ceiling.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Rifka wrote: I do have to agree that the Votes for Women song was a great song, though.
Glynis Johns, who played Mrs. Banks, originally thought she was being offered the part of Mary Poppins. She was really excited about it until they broke it to her that she wasn't actually going to be the lead, so she insisted that she get a musical number in the film. That's how the suffragette song made it into the film, and I'm really glad it did. Also, the author of Mary Poppins, P.L. Travers, really hated the film and fought with Disney every step of the way. You all should watch The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story on Netflix. It's pretty interesting because the Sherman brothers did the music for a lot of Disney classics, so they worked together, but they couldn't stand each other and it tore the two sides of their family apart. I think they're responsible for the Small World song though, so maybe they got what they deserved in the end.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I just found this article. The idea of Dick Van Dyke reprising his old role makes ms happy.

--Jasper Fforde