Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:In fact, he swore he'd never do religious art, because he thinks it's incredibly tacky and such. (I don't remember all his reasoning, but I do remember him being adamant about it.)
Huh. I wonder if he was thinking of all religious art, or just the kind of watered-down art that tends to be really popular.
Dragon Lady wrote:When he was looking at printing options, he met the lady in charge of Deseret Book prints that they sell and she loved it. She told him that if he made two more, she'd take him and his art to her superiors and see if they could market them. He's flattered, though still not sure how he feels about that, so we'll see if it happens or not. But he already had ideas for more religious art at that point, so he kept doing them.
I think it would be really cool if DB would sell art that's more abstract. We'll see, I guess. :)
Dragon Lady wrote:And you can probably tell by my blabbering on, I'm really, really excited for him.
And rightly so, I think. I find it really interesting that he's come around to doing religious art, because that's a pattern I've seen from other LDS artists / writers.

I have some friends who have a Mormon arts and culture blog and maybe I'll bug one of them to interview him after Christmas, because he sounds interesting to talk to.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Katya wrote:
Digit wrote:One of these days I'll learn how to Wikicode and reference things to the satisfaction of those people who love to undo other people's contributions. :)
Fair enough. I haven't started that many pages, myself, and my first attempt at creating a category was deleted almost as soon as anyone caught wind of it.
Yeah...that's a real issue with Wikipedia these days. It's very difficult to add things, or even change things sometimes, unless you're an established part of the system (some would even say "cabal"). If I hadn't had several run-ins with admins/editors who were pompous jerks, I'd feel more favorably toward contributing when they do their fundraising drives. I'd even want to contribute to articles from time to time...what better match can you think of than Wikipedia and Board writer?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:
Katya wrote:
Digit wrote:One of these days I'll learn how to Wikicode and reference things to the satisfaction of those people who love to undo other people's contributions. :)
Fair enough. I haven't started that many pages, myself, and my first attempt at creating a category was deleted almost as soon as anyone caught wind of it.
Yeah...that's a real issue with Wikipedia these days. It's very difficult to add things, or even change things sometimes, unless you're an established part of the system (some would even say "cabal"). If I hadn't had several run-ins with admins/editors who were pompous jerks, I'd feel more favorably toward contributing when they do their fundraising drives. I'd even want to contribute to articles from time to time...what better match can you think of than Wikipedia and Board writer?
No joke. Wikipedia asked me to take a survey on how the community treats people and whether too many people are being jerks, so it sounds like it's an ongoing problem.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Yeah, I remember when I made an article one time. . . not exactly a positive experience.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

My theory is that Wikipedia attracts a disproportionate number of people with poor social skills (but a high interest in analyzing and categorizing the world).

I've only started 4 articles since signing up for an account, but at least they're all still around. (I also did a ton of research when I wrote my first article, just to make sure I was doing it right.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Guys, I'm about to go see The Messiah performed live for the first time. I am so flipping excited.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Well, now there's an article on Kepler-22, already with seven modifications by 23:34 GMT since its birth at 20:54 GMT. And an article on Kepler-22b too, born at 18:15 GMT and already like 100 edits. No part of that for me, thanks. :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Emiliana wrote:Guys, I'm about to go see The Messiah performed live for the first time. I am so flipping excited.
:cry: <-- crying for the ProTab
Portia

Post by Portia »

There is a joyful picture of me next to the hinterlands box. We had to bargain and not get it just yet til our massive game supply is moved to one locale, but still, it's there, calling my name . . .

Scrying Pool/King's Court/Oasis and some card with virtual money can make Big Money look like small beans.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

you know you've been up too long when you see a black spot on your computer screen, spend five minutes trying to get it off, and then realize it was a misplaced period in the paper you are writing.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Lol!
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Katya wrote:
Emiliana wrote:Guys, I'm about to go see The Messiah performed live for the first time. I am so flipping excited.
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Emiliana wrote:
Katya wrote:
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
A historic building in Provo where they used to do a Messiah sing-along every year at Christmas until the building burned down last year. (Sorry for the obscure reference.)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Katya wrote:
Emiliana wrote:
Katya wrote: :cry: <-- crying for the ProTab
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
A historic building in Provo where they used to do a Messiah sing-along every year at Christmas until the building burned down last year. (Sorry for the obscure reference.)
I was thinking you were talking about some group that was pro MoTab. Or something. I didn't think too much about it.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Well, I got it right away.

Edited to add a tag:
/hoity-toityness

(and edited again because the first edit didn't show up)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I was trying to find a religion that started with "Pro". The... Prospeterian Tabernacle Choir? Yeah... I came up with nothin'.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Dragon Lady wrote:I was trying to find a religion that started with "Pro". The... Prospeterian Tabernacle Choir? Yeah... I came up with nothin'.
I cry frequently about the Prospeterian Tabernacle Chorus. It's Chorus, not Choir; that's where your confusion came in, I'm sure.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

So . . . are you saying you don't think my abbreviation will catch on? ;)
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

I figured it out after a few seconds, but my first thought was it was some kind of drug like Lortab. Don't know what Protab would be used for.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I got a check for three cents from some Ebay class action lawsuit I didn't even know about. The law firm's fees from my "share" were 50 cents.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.