Easter lamb

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Dragon Lady

Easter lamb

Post by Dragon Lady »

My brother mocks the practice of eating lamb on Easter and Christmas, the holidays which we celebrate the life of a Jewish man. So this Easter I want to make lamb. But I've never made lamb before. Anyone have any good recipes?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: Easter lamb

Post by NerdGirl »

Not so much a recipe, but we were at Costco today and we bought this braised lamb shank that was really good. But braising it with something involving rosemary and/or mint would be really good.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yes, with mint is excellent.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Dragon Lady wrote:My brother mocks the practice of eating lamb on Easter and Christmas, the holidays which we celebrate the life of a Jewish man.
Why would this be mockable? And recipes aside, getting the right lamb is huge, older lamb will have more lanolin and taste more 'sheep-y'. Generally when people dislike the taste of lamb, it is the lanolin they are referring to. My wife and I are hoping to hold a Seder and have a pseudo-Pesach dinner, I throuoghly recommend it.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Well, because I'm an idiot and typoed. :) He mocks eating HAM on those holidays. Thus I'm making lamb.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Wow, that makes a lot more sense. :D Thanks for clarifying!
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

Haha. Ham does make more sense there. Although, when you think about it, it's not really any less strange to eat the animal that Jesus chose to symbolize himself for Easter dinner. Which is why we're making quiche instead!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

well, considering we take the sacrament, which represents eating Christ's body and blood, eating a lamb seems wholly appropriate.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Well, and the resurrection took place 'round Passover. Where they ate lamb. Which is WHY he called himself the Paschal Lamb.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Just found this in my google reader:
http://www.slowcookerfromscratch.com/20 ... -four.html
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

Oh, haha, I'm dumb. I forgot about the paschal lamb thing because it's not really a part of modern Seders anymore.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

We ended up roasting a leg with olive oil, rosemary, sage, thyme and garlic. And roasted it to an internal temp of 160. It turned out really good!
Tao

Post by Tao »

The Ashkenazim (middle European Jews, roughly) shy away from lamb on passover, out of respect of the temple that is lost and the sacrifice that can no longer take place. On the other hand Sephardi Jews try to include it out of remembrance of the same.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tao wrote:The Ashkenazim (middle European Jews, roughly) shy away from lamb on passover, out of respect of the temple that is lost and the sacrifice that can no longer take place. On the other hand Sephardi Jews try to include it out of remembrance of the same.
Interesting that the same motive (wanting to honor the temple) can lead to opposite actions.
wired

Post by wired »

Katya wrote:
Tao wrote:The Ashkenazim (middle European Jews, roughly) shy away from lamb on passover, out of respect of the temple that is lost and the sacrifice that can no longer take place. On the other hand Sephardi Jews try to include it out of remembrance of the same.
Interesting that the same motive (wanting to honor the temple) can lead to opposite actions.
Somewhat like how Mormons talk about using "thee or thou" in prayers to show respect for Deity, but also praise the Spanish use of "tu" over "usted" because it shows familiarity and comfort.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

wired wrote:
Katya wrote:
Somewhat like how Mormons talk about using "thee or thou" in prayers to show respect for Deity, but also praise the Spanish use of "tu" over "usted" because it shows familiarity and comfort.
Yes, except that I'm not convinced that we use "thee or thou" to show respect. I think we use it because we've always used it and the "respect" justification is a more recent development. (Actually, maybe I should research this. It could be interesting.)

When do Mormons praise the Spanish use of "tu" in prayer? (I've never heard such praise, but then I probably wouldn't have. I'm just curious to know if it's members or missionaries or leaders who are praising it. Also, I thought it was a cultural norm for all Spanish-speakers to use informal pronouns in prayer. Are there religions or groups that don't?)
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

We were taught in the MTC to use "tu." Members would use tu, but I knew a few (all from Mexico) who used "usted." And those of other religions all used tu.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Craig Jessop wrote:We were taught in the MTC to use "tu." Members would use tu, but I knew a few (all from Mexico) who used "usted." And those of other religions all used tu.
Fascinating. I was under the impression that most speakers of European languages used informal pronouns (I know they're used in French, Portuguese, German, Russian, and Welsh), although I can see how you could make an argument for using formal pronouns, if you had no tradition to draw from. (E.g., speakers of Chinese and Korean use very formal language.)
Digit

Post by Digit »

But in the Philippines, which has had Spanish influence for quite a long time, you never hear Filipinos use the informal 'ikaw' for 'you.' They always use the formal 'kayo' with copious use of the honorofic 'po' in practically every sentence during a prayer.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
wired

Post by wired »

Katya wrote: Yes, except that I'm not convinced that we use "thee or thou" to show respect. I think we use it because we've always used it and the "respect" justification is a more recent development. (Actually, maybe I should research this. It could be interesting.)
I agree that it's a post-hoc rationalization for why we do things a certain way. My guess is that most Methodists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians in the early 1800s used thee and thou, so Mormons did too.

Core point being though, Mormons come to exact opposite conclusions (whether to use very formal or very personal language) based on the same rationalization (to remind us of where we stand in relation to God).