In the news

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Violet

Re: In the news

Post by Violet »

Portia wrote:Did anyone experience any polemics about the gay marriage decision in Church yesterday? My boyfriend and I have a running bet ...
Not at church (didn't go because I couldn't handle a Proclamation to the World lesson), but the family Christmas party has been bad.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Violet wrote:
Portia wrote:Did anyone experience any polemics about the gay marriage decision in Church yesterday? My boyfriend and I have a running bet ...
Not at church (didn't go because I couldn't handle a Proclamation to the World lesson), but the family Christmas party has been bad.
I mean, green root beer? That's just perverted.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Portia wrote:
Violet wrote:
I mean, green root beer? That's just perverted.
For those confused, I posted a picture on facebook of the green root beer an uncle provided for aforementioned Christmas party..
Portia

Post by Portia »

Was the Proc lesson a churchwide thing? I missed Sunday School, but the Bishop mentioned that it was on the importance of "fathers and mothers ... especially mothers."
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Portia wrote:the importance of "fathers and mothers ... especially mothers."
So........ lesbian marriages are the best, actually?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

mic0 wrote:
Portia wrote:the importance of "fathers and mothers ... especially mothers."
So........ lesbian marriages are the best, actually?
Until they starve out because no one can afford food, that is.
Deus ab veritas
Digit

Post by Digit »

Looks like there's a market for plus-size Barbies with double chins.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Digit wrote:Looks like there's a market for plus-size Barbies with double chins.
I know that this is a #firstworldproblem, but I'm rather annoyed at the idea that curvy=plus size. I definitely have curves, and I'm a size 8. Americans are such extremists.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Poll Finds that Women Are Happiest at Size 12 (Because Cheese Probably). Because Cheese Probably. Ha. And the picture of the elated woman with the huge hunk of Swiss :)
Integrating Editor

Post by Integrating Editor »

I just did some size checking on Barbie using Gap's sizing chart. If you scale her waist up to 24 inches (between a 00 and a 0), her hips are about a size 14 and her bust measurement seems to require a size 22 top. So the original anorexically skinny barbie is certainly curvy enough (you'd have to make her quite tall to get to a 24 inch waist), and this plus-size doll has far less dramatic curves than Barbie. This one is simply unhealthily overweight. I personally feel like this portrayal of women is just as problematic as the bizarrely skinny but curvy Barbie. Neither body shape is something women looking for an active, healthy life should be trying to achieve.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Looks like there's actually an average Barbie too.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Average Barbie is pretty nice.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Ha. From the blog of the artist who made the average Barbie, a hypothesis on what humans might look like in 100,000 years. Huge eyes like anime cartoon characters.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Looming Velveeta Shortage. What will the superbowlers dip their nachos in Feb. 2?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Digit wrote:Looming Velveeta Shortage. What will the superbowlers dip their nachos in Feb. 2?
Hopefully something ... good? Like real cheese? Or spinach artichoke dip?
Digit

Post by Digit »

I like the chili in an edible bowl in this gallery of the top Superbowl foods.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Digit wrote:Looming Velveeta Shortage. What will the superbowlers dip their nachos in Feb. 2?
Hopefully something ... good? Like real cheese? Or spinach artichoke dip?
Make me spinach artichoke dip? Please?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

thanks guys, I'm craving nachos right now
Digit

Post by Digit »

Taco Bell has a big stuffed "nacho" the size of your hand.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

My sub plans today were not enough to take up the whole class period today, and I know the regular teacher is fine with me making it up as I go, a bit.

So today, after we discussed what "pastoral" means and read The Passionate Shepherd to his Love and The Nymph's Reply, I had the honors 11 kids write a third poem--the shepherd's rebuttal. They whined as they were doing it, but they kept showing their poems to each other as the wrote, and when I had them get into small groups and share their poems, they were laughing and smiling and complimenting each other. And then each group picked their favorite to read out loud to the class, and they were all so fun! They ranged from "you're not tempted by the clothes and rustic entertainment? then have I mentioned how I will love you forever?" to "yes, everything dies eventually, but isn't it better to have loved and lost?" to "if you don't like me, fine! There are more fish in the sea. Better fish!"

Anyway, it was really fun for them AND for me, which is great, because I wasn't sure how it would go over. Now I can't wait to do it again with tomorrow's classes.