In the news

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Digit

Re: In the news

Post by Digit »

I'm no copyright lawyer, but I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't have a strong case against the maker of the Flappy Bird videogame. The look of the pipes is pretty much identical in my eyes to the look of the pipes in Super Mario Bros. I'd bet communication from the Nintendo legal staff had something to do with the game creator pulling his big-money-making app so suddenly.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Portia

Post by Portia »

Digit

Post by Digit »

Imagine going through all the cost of training and minimum 1,500 hours of flight experience and then, finally as a pilot, making close to minimum wage.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Girl finds sheet music on buttocks in 600-year-old Hieronymus Bosch triptych. But I can't believe she's the very first person to notice.
Digit

Post by Digit »

18-year-old NJ girl Rachel Canning is suing her parents to try to force them to pay her college tuition. She wants to be a biomedical engineer.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Digit wrote:18-year-old NJ girl Rachel Canning is suing her parents to try to force them to pay her college tuition. She wants to be a biomedical engineer.
On one hand, that's ridiculous. On the other hand, the comments that point out that the financial aid system doesn't separate you from your parents until you're 21 or so, make a lot of sense.
Even if you want to live on your own, you have to get married, have a kid, or be legally separated before you can be on your own when it comes to financial aid. Which can put a damper on the potential aid you could get.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Right. Instead of suing for the money she could sue for emancipation, which would accomplish the same thing.

Also, her parents say they are more than happy to have her live at home and provide for things she needs (it sounds like including college) but they want her to do crazy things (like not stay out past curfew and stop hanging out with her boyfriend so much.) I tried to give the girl a chance but this just smacks of entitlement.
Deus ab veritas
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

I thought you were on your own for financial aid as long as your parents didn't provide at least half your financial support for the year (regardless of age). Is it different now? It's been a very long time since I've filled out a FAFSA...
Although I suppose if you've lived at your parents' house, eating their food and such for half the year (like the end of your senior year of high school), you're still stuck whether or not they provide any college support.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

thatonemom wrote:I thought you were on your own for financial aid as long as your parents didn't provide at least half your financial support for the year (regardless of age). Is it different now? It's been a very long time since I've filled out a FAFSA...
Although I suppose if you've lived at your parents' house, eating their food and such for half the year (like the end of your senior year of high school), you're still stuck whether or not they provide any college support.
Nope. Even if they don't provide any financial support, your financial aid is dependent on how much you make. Source: I just filled out the FAFSA. We weren't going to declare me dependent on my parent's taxes, but there's no point when the FAFSA still requires their tax information.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Thanks Tally. I think I was getting confused with being considered a dependent for income taxes. It's funny that there isn't a standard definition for determining dependency for federal government purposes.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tally M. wrote:
Digit wrote:18-year-old NJ girl Rachel Canning is suing her parents to try to force them to pay her college tuition. She wants to be a biomedical engineer.
On one hand, that's ridiculous. On the other hand, the comments that point out that the financial aid system doesn't separate you from your parents until you're 21 or so, make a lot of sense.
I thought it was 24. (For the FAFSA, at least.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thatonemom wrote:Thanks Tally. I think I was getting confused with being considered a dependent for income taxes. It's funny that there isn't a standard definition for determining dependency for federal government purposes.
Eh, different entities are motivated to define it in different ways. Sort of like how everyone defines residency differently.
Digit

Post by Digit »

My understanding was that not being emancipated was part of her strategy of staying barnacled to her parents in hopes that a judge would force her parents to pay for college. I doubt she'll succeed. Looks like she's lost the first round in court already.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Apple's goto fail in its SSL code. At least a couple lazy/bad things there. #1 using goto in the first place. #2, this may be a style issue most of the time, but if they were just in the habit of using curly braces all the time, it wouldn't have happened (if the second goto were in the block as well, which is why I type the curly braces right after the if statement and before typing what goes in the block).

Apparently, in the SSL code, if certain conditions weren't met, they used goto fail; to jump to a section labeled fail. There was a section like this:

Code: Select all

if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &signedParams)) != 0)
		goto fail;
		goto fail;
	if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.final(&hashCtx, &hashOut)) != 0)
		goto fail;
See that middle line with two gotos? Without curly braces, it always got executed and the if block beneath it never did. The compiler doesn't care about indentation, as this isn't Python.

Apparently this bad code enabled man-in-the-middle attacks. If you use an Apple computer and wonder if this is fixed for you or not, you can go to gotofail.com. Probably fixed for all by now.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Digit

Post by Digit »

Latest case of affluenza
In 2009, du Pont heir Robert H. Richards IV, 47, was convicted of raping his 3-year-old daughter and served no jail time because, a judge said, he would "not fare well" in prison.
If not going to fare well in prison were a valid excuse, pretty sure about nobody would be in prison.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Digit

Post by Digit »

Comic book character Archie to die.
Archie Comics CEO Jon Goldwater wrote:"Afterlife With Archie" [the "Archie" zombie series] will continue.
Ha :) I didn't know there was an Archie zombie series. Then again, I don't read Archie comics, though I'd known of them. I bet Zombie Jughead is dangerous.
Digit

Post by Digit »