Life lessons

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
krebscout

Life lessons

Post by krebscout »

You know how when you learn some new wisdom or life lesson, the universe seems to repeat it to you over and over? A.k.a. confirmation bias? Or you have a theme in your life for a while? For example, Emiliana's recent life lesson is, "Haters gonna hate." And another friend of mine recently blogged that hers was, "Messes can be cleaned up." I'm curious to know other people's life themes as they come up, and any background story behind them.
mic0

Re: Life lessons

Post by mic0 »

It's okay to stand up for what you want when you want it. Because otherwise you will be in tears over buying the wrong drawers and then return them to Target within an hour for the drawers you actually wanted all along but were pressured out of getting. True story! My over-and-over life lesson seems to be "don't be afraid to do what you want for yourself."

Krebscout, are you going to share one of your widsoms or life lessons?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Mico, in response to your statement I thought of this.

It's obviously too early.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

"You can't actually plan your life out 5 years into the future. Just chill out and "take no thought for the things of the morrow.""
Portia

Post by Portia »

Zedability wrote:"You can't actually plan your life out 5 years into the future. Just chill out and "take no thought for the things of the morrow.""
I think I'm about 5 years older than you (give or take a year), since you "have a missionary." Also, I started writing for the Board 5 years ago. It's honestly hilarious how different things are now than my carefully-laid plans of that time. Have goals, but be flexible.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Portia wrote:
Zedability wrote:"You can't actually plan your life out 5 years into the future. Just chill out and "take no thought for the things of the morrow.""
I think I'm about 5 years older than you (give or take a year), since you "have a missionary." Also, I started writing for the Board 5 years ago. It's honestly hilarious how different things are now than my carefully-laid plans of that time. Have goals, but be flexible.
Exactly. Also, I'm 18. For a few more weeks, at least.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Zedability wrote:
Portia wrote:
Exactly. Also, I'm 18. For a few more weeks, at least.
Six years, then! Mercy. You're my brother's age. Aiy.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:Six years, then! Mercy. You're my brother's age. Aiy.
Then that makes you close to my brother's age. And he's 10 years younger than I am. ;)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Humorously reminded of the scene in Hook where the baby sits in the stroller while the mothers speak of his life plan in detail, until he rolls away.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:Six years, then! Mercy. You're my brother's age. Aiy.
Then that makes you close to my brother's age. And he's 10 years younger than I am. ;)
I think I'm 9 years younger than you. The 100 Hour Board: staffed by 19-year-old twerps since c. 2003. ;)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Portia wrote:
I think I'm 9 years younger than you. The 100 Hour Board: staffed by 19-year-old twerps since c. 2003. ;)
There's a reason for this, but if you get me started, it will be quite the diatribe.
Deus ab veritas
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Marduk wrote:
Portia wrote:
There's a reason for this, but if you get me started, it will be quite the diatribe.
Speech!
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

One of my favorite life lessons is that just about everyone feels as out of place and unsure as I do.

If I'm honest about the fact that I'm confused in class, other people are generally grateful for the clarification, too.
If I make the overture of friendship, most people aren't analyzing my methods, they're flattered and excited that someone wants to hang out with them.
If I smile and admit that I've never done this before and I'm a little unsure, most people have been there before and are glad to give advice and be a little more patient with me.

It seems like everyone is so self-conscious that, in a way, it's freeing. They're all so focused on making sure they don't do anything stupid that they don't spend any extra effort on worrying about what I'm doing. In fact, most people respond well when I'm honest about my own shortcomings and worries, because they know I'm not going to be terribly judgmental about theirs.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

mic0 wrote:Krebscout, are you going to share one of your widsoms or life lessons?
Well, I'm not sure this is actually a positive thing, but I've been feeling lately like laziness isn't always a bad thing, especially in parenting. Sometimes it can have the same effect as patience. I swear my kids are good sleepers because of my laziness. And it provides a nice counterbalance to my neurotic tendencies, keeping me on that fine line between "attentive parent" and "crazy helicopter parent."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

One of my life lessons is that I always think I know what I want to do with the rest of my life, and then I don't.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

krebscout wrote:
mic0 wrote:Krebscout, are you going to share one of your widsoms or life lessons?
Well, I'm not sure this is actually a positive thing, but I've been feeling lately like laziness isn't always a bad thing, especially in parenting. Sometimes it can have the same effect as patience. I swear my kids are good sleepers because of my laziness. And it provides a nice counterbalance to my neurotic tendencies, keeping me on that fine line between "attentive parent" and "crazy helicopter parent."
This reminds me of something my mom told me once: "There are people who say that 'if you have to do something, do it well.' That is False, and don't believe it."

Considering how much my mom accomplishes and how well she does it all, I find that quote very interesting.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Gio, that's cute. :) Thanks.

Krebscout, I think that makes sense and is probably a positive thing. I mean, you don't want your kids to be completely lazy, but it is also good to have down time and not be worried all the time. At least, that's what I hear; it's something I'm working on... sort of.

Whistler, agreed! Every other day I have a new idea about what path my life should take. It's exhausting.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

My episodes of depression over the past few months have taught me more than anything else that's happened since I got home from my mission. The most important step I've made is accepting that it's something out of my control and that God isn't going to judge me for it or hold it against me. Everything else I've learned has come after that realization.

And, on a mostly unrelated note, it looks like the Spirit doesn't like being rushed. Or when I am rushing while dealing with spiritual matters. I've got to remember that.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

My life lesson for today is that pants and high heels are terrible and I shouldn't wear them.

I know that's not nearly as profound as some of the others, but I think it's a very important lesson.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I'm going to take a note from your book. No more pants for me.