wedding dresses

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

wedding dresses

Post by Portia »

It's pretty near impossible to find wedding dresses with sleeves (and no, I'm not getting married any time soon, unfortunately), so I was interested to see a good handful of styles on the J. Crew website. My favorite is the Vivienne. I just think it's important to remember that there are other styles besides circa-2001-Idaho-prom-dress (tee shirt bodice, poofy skirt).
Zedability

Re: wedding dresses

Post by Zedability »

I *hate* the prevalent LDS wedding styles. The square neck and poofy skirt are NOT appearing on my wedding dress, and that is a PROMISE.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Zedability wrote:I *hate* the prevalent LDS wedding styles. The square neck and poofy skirt are NOT appearing on my wedding dress, and that is a PROMISE.
Glad to hear it. The Daily Universe bridal guide ALWAYS features some hideous mermaid-style monstrosity. Architect's sister had an interesting Art Deco-ish wedding dress, and she got married in the temple.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I don't hate the square neck poof look, but I don't want it for myself. (Probably. We'll see what's available when I finally manage to find a guy to marry.)

I've never had any trouble finding wedding dresses with sleeves, though. Maybe you're not looking in the right places? I can think of two in Logan off the top of my head, and I'd imagine Provo has an even greater selection. (And Salt Lake too, I'm sure. Somewhere.)

I do kind of like the Vivienne...
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I looked on etsy until I found something I loved, and then I had it made. I should really think of an excuse to wear my wedding dress again because I think it's pretty awesome. Some excuse other than Halloween.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Whistler wrote:I looked on etsy until I found something I loved, and then I had it made. I should really think of an excuse to wear my wedding dress again because I think it's pretty awesome. Some excuse other than Halloween.
This is why I don't think I'll be able to justify buying a wedding dress no matter how much I may want to. My plan is to buy a nice outfit that I really like and look good in and can wear at any time.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I loved my dress, and it was square necked and A-line (fairly poofy) and gorgeous.

Neener. :P

(I really wish "razz" emoticons looked menacing instead of smiley.)
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Portia wrote:It's pretty near impossible to find wedding dresses with sleeves (and no, I'm not getting married any time soon, unfortunately), so I was interested to see a good handful of styles on the J. Crew website. My favorite is the Vivienne. I just think it's important to remember that there are other styles besides circa-2001-Idaho-prom-dress (tee shirt bodice, poofy skirt).

Pinterest. I'm going to have to cover my shoulders for a Catholic Mass (my church is very traditional), and I've found TONES of gorgeous dresses with sleeves on there.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Portia

Post by Portia »

I want Emiliana to weigh in now and tell us if she's going sleeveless, strapless, or sleeved!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Imogen wrote:
Portia wrote:It's pretty near impossible to find wedding dresses with sleeves (and no, I'm not getting married any time soon, unfortunately), so I was interested to see a good handful of styles on the J. Crew website. My favorite is the Vivienne. I just think it's important to remember that there are other styles besides circa-2001-Idaho-prom-dress (tee shirt bodice, poofy skirt).

Pinterest. I'm going to have to cover my shoulders for a Catholic Mass (my church is very traditional), and I've found TONES of gorgeous dresses with sleeves on there.
Holy $8,000 dresses. This cannot end well! With no mother or aunts or sisters-in-law or grown sisters, I'll have to drag one of you ladies with me.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I had a mermaid style dress with a somewhat deep v-neck. It was awesome, had tiny cap sleeves, and... yes, i just thought it was great. Maybe not worth the price, but hey wedding
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

The "Sophie" looks like a temple dress. I'm a fan of the Corinna.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Portia wrote:
Imogen wrote:

Holy $8,000 dresses. This cannot end well! With no mother or aunts or sisters-in-law or grown sisters, I'll have to drag one of you ladies with me.
I would so go. I love wedding dress shopping. But, the trick is to find a shape you like, and then find a dress like that in your price range. (Can you tell I've been coaching tons of friends through weddings lately?)
beautiful, dirty, rich
Portia

Post by Portia »

I think if and when this happens (big "if," I suck at relationships) I think "price range" will come first. :P Yes this has been the summer of weddings for me too. But all my close friends are dudes. Who are adamantly single.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Portia wrote:I think if and when this happens (big "if," I suck at relationships) I think "price range" will come first. :P Yes this has been the summer of weddings for me too. But all my close friends are dudes. Who are adamantly single.
I have a friend who will have been to 12 weddings by the end of this year. No lie.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Portia

Post by Portia »

Imogen wrote:
Portia wrote:I think if and when this happens (big "if," I suck at relationships) I think "price range" will come first. :P Yes this has been the summer of weddings for me too. But all my close friends are dudes. Who are adamantly single.
I have a friend who will have been to 12 weddings by the end of this year. No lie.
That actually sounds fun. For a Utah-dwelling Mormon I have been to far too few weddings.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:I want Emiliana to weigh in now and tell us if she's going sleeveless, strapless, or sleeved!
Haha. I really don't know yet. Probably not sleeved, 'cause ... well ... I'm not Mormon. So far we've mostly been dealing with issues such as, "Your home state or mine?" (his), and "Is there any possible way we could get all this together by December?" (no).
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Somewhere in the past couple of years I realized that most LDS women don't wear their fancy wedding dress to the actual ceremony, and so that dress is really just for the reception and pictures. Since I'm fairly frugal, and I've never been one of those girls to plan a dream wedding, I think I would be just fine with a plain (non-wedding) white dress for my wedding. Something along these lines. And then I could wear it again! And not hate myself for spending so much on a one-time thing.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I actually really love square necklines. Also boatneck, even though it sounds like an insult.

And if you want wedding dresses with sleeves, get in your time machine and go back to the 80s/early 90s. More sleeves than you could ever want.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

UffishThought wrote:Somewhere in the past couple of years I realized that most LDS women don't wear their fancy wedding dress to the actual ceremony . . .
Is that just a recent trend? Or has that been going on for a while?