Favorite of the Week(ish) Nov 2-6

Which 100HB response was your favorite today? A place to create polls and respond.

Favorite Nov 2-6

Why doesn't society love man-flesh as much as woman-flesh?
8%
First Impressions
No votes
My sister owes me $$$
8%
Addicted to Coca-Cola
No votes
Boring data entry job
8%
Pushing Daisies
8%
The Simpsons is bad for you because...
23%
Car boots
15%
Why were lights on at DT?
31%
Other (please specify...it makes the writers feel good)
No votes

Total votes: 13

Humble Master

Favorite of the Week(ish) Nov 2-6

Post by Humble Master »

So I have the most time to set these up on Tuesdays, so we're getting a favorite of the almost-week poll. If anyone wants to set any up at any other time feel free.

Why doesn't society love man-flesh as much as woman-flesh?

First Impressions

My sister owes me $$$

Addicted to Coca-Cola

Boring data entry job

Pushing Daisies

The Simpsons is bad for you because...

Car boots

Why were lights on at DT?
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

I gotta toss in my vote for the Simpsons question, simply because I agree with CPM's rant 1000%.

As a small aside, I've found in my dealings with people that someone's love of the Simpsons is directly correlated with how much I'll get along with them. It's always seemed to be a really accurate barometer to gauge how intelligent, knowledgeable, witty, sarcastic, and esoteric someone is.

Seriously. Best show ever. (seasons 1-8, at least)
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Cognoscente wrote:Seriously. Best show ever. (seasons 1-8, at least)
That parenthetical caveat you added is key.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Cognoscente wrote: It's always seemed to be a really accurate barometer to gauge how intelligent, knowledgeable, witty, sarcastic, and esoteric someone is.
Hopefully you will allow for some exceptions to this rule.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Obviously, there are exceptions to any rule. I'm mostly speaking from my own experience.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Cognoscente wrote:As a small aside, I've found in my dealings with people that someone's love of the Simpsons is directly correlated with how much I'll get along with them. It's always seemed to be a really accurate barometer to gauge how intelligent, knowledgeable, witty, sarcastic, and esoteric someone is.
Those aren't necessarily synonymous. The fact that they don't like The Simpsons probably indicates that they're not huge fans of social satire on that level or scale, which could certainly affect how much you're going to "click" as friends, but probably shouldn't lead you to dismiss their intelligence.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Looks like Cogn. and I were posting at the same time. I will say that one of my more miserable experiences in YW was when our teacher more or less bore her testimony of the evilitude of The Simpsons. (She'd caught part of an episode and the satirical aspect had gone over her head.)
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Katya wrote:Looks like Cogn. and I were posting at the same time. I will say that one of my more miserable experiences in YW was when our teacher more or less bore her testimony of the evilitude of The Simpsons. (She'd caught part of an episode and the satirical aspect had gone over her head.)
Ha! The Simpsons made fun of people like that, too. The best episodes were like seven layer cakes baked from delicious irony. They made fun of others, made fun of themselves, and made fun of themselves making fun of others.

Sorry about your experience with an ignorant, well-meaning-but-misguided YW leader, Katya. I've seen that happen a lot when members decide to editorialize during a lesson. That's why it's so important to stick to the gospel during gospel teaching! I'd have another rant to share about that, but you've already summarized my thesis point. :D
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

One of my favorite classes at BYU was my screenwriting class. One day we just watched Simpsons episodes, sat back, and marveled at how good the writing was. Then we lamented that the recent seasons of the show seems to have forgotten to be a social satire, and in many ways lost the moral center the early seasons had (by early seasons I mean the first decade or so...).