Total votes: 23

Portia

choir vs band vs orchestra smackdown

Post by Portia »

Go!
Yarjka

Re: choir vs band vs orchestra smackdown

Post by Yarjka »

Band is all I knew, so I put band. Although when I envision a choir girl or orchestra girl, they seem more attractive in my mind.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

There was something in the air at my high school, because the band was actually pretty cool. I was an orchestra kid, and I wanted so much to hang out with the band kids that I joined colorguard. (high five, 42!)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Yarjka wrote:Band is all I knew, so I put band. Although when I envision a choir girl or orchestra girl, they seem more attractive in my mind.
We are, Yar, we are.
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

I put choir just based on attractiveness but if it were about overall compatibility I'd definitely put band. In my school the stereotypes went like this: orchestra=nerds, band=dorks, choir=cool kids. I definitely fit in better with the dorky band kids than with the type A orchestra kids or the popular kids in choir.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

what's the difference between a nerd and a dork?
Deus ab veritas
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

choir kids were popular? at my school we were respected for our talent, but we were not popular.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Marduk wrote:what's the difference between a nerd and a dork?
nerds = know a lot about math, science, and computers. They get good grades. They are the ones that people look to for test answers and ask to do their homework for them.
dorks = know a lot about star trek, video games, and dungeons & dragons. They often don't get good grades. You would not ask them for help with homework.

It is possible to be both a nerd and a dork. I was a little of both and had friends in both groups.

ETA: on further thought, I may be confusing dorks with geeks.
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

In my high school, it was a pretty regular occurrence for the Homecoming queen and/or a few people from the "court" to be in the marching band (no, they didn't have to perform in the band during the Homecoming show). I think somehow the band at our high school (and the theater program too, but strangely, not the choir or orchestra at all) just maintained a minority-but-steady population of "popular" kids that gave the program some respect among classmates. It's weird to me that there are high schools where the band is just a bunch of weirdo geeks.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I feel like the secret to dorks is that they do whatever it is they want to do, even though they know they could easily be doing something cooler. It makes them loveable.

At my high school it was the really well-rounded people who were popular, usually some combination of AP/IB scholar and athlete. The dweebiest guy I knew in middle school went on to do IB, track, and band in high school and he ended up a Mardi Gras prince (we do homecoming princesses and mardi gras princes).
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

Genuine Article wrote:I feel like the secret to dorks is that they do whatever it is they want to do, even though they know they could easily be doing something cooler. It makes them loveable.
That's what I was going for when I said dorks. I guess you could also use the term geek but I tend to think of geeks as being more socially awkward than dorks. Maybe that's just me.

It's so funny to see all the different stereotypes that exist in different schools. Even more proof that high school movies are completely ridiculous.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

See, and most of the choir guys I knew were gay, so it didn't occur to me to be attracted to them. In my high school we had the image of cheerleaders and flag girls switched. Cheerleaders were so mocked and looked down upon that we could barely fill out a squad. But the kick line with the band was filled with the. . . Plastics, if you will. So the marching band went up a few notches as a result. I never heard any jokes for being a flag girl, but got tons of flack for being a cheerleader.

Show choir kids were known as stuck up pricks. Orchestra was fine, but usually for those with tiger moms.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

krebscout wrote:There was something in the air at my high school, because the band was actually pretty cool. I was an orchestra kid, and I wanted so much to hang out with the band kids that I joined colorguard. (high five, 42!)
< five > !

Yup. I did four years in high school and three in college and loved every minute. Nice to hear there are more on here!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Yarjka wrote:
Marduk wrote:what's the difference between a nerd and a dork?
nerds = know a lot about math, science, and computers. They get good grades. They are the ones that people look to for test answers and ask to do their homework for them.
dorks = know a lot about star trek, video games, and dungeons & dragons. They often don't get good grades. You would not ask them for help with homework.

It is possible to be both a nerd and a dork. I was a little of both and had friends in both groups.

ETA: on further thought, I may be confusing dorks with geeks.
I was queen of the nerds. I am too sexy to be a geek.