And the winner is...

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
yayfulness
Board Writer

And the winner is...

Post by yayfulness »

Obama, as predicted. Thoughts?

Mostly, I'm just ridiculously proud of myself for having predicted things accurately. Only the swing states were ever really up for grabs, and most of them went to Obama. Of course, I was just parroting more official and knowledgeable predictions, but still.

Oh, and Zed, as a Canadian, what are your thoughts on people threatening to move to Canada?
mic0

Re: And the winner is...

Post by mic0 »

I'M SO GLAD THIS IS OVER. Guess who came to my door today at ~5 pm? Yes, a campaigner! On election day! I've had at least two campaigners come to my apartment every week for the past month. And on campus? Campaigners *everywhere*.

In other news, apparently Colorado legalized recreational marijuana. It might be interesting to see how that plays out over the next couple years here.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I am so happy about this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Yayfulness, I hate you for desecrating this forum with more politicking.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

YAY OBAMA

Oh Gio, you just love to complain. You're starting to remind me of my teenage brother who is always full of ANGST and WOE.

Also I am totally high on politics right now.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Also I am totally high on politics right now.
If you were in Colorado, you could be high on something else as well.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

So, here's what I want to know...

There are two sets of laws on substances, one federal and one state. Marijuana is still classified as the most dangerous level of drugs by the federal government. The change in state laws will not affect federal law. So...? As long as you have under the amount of pot on you that the feds normally prosecute you'll be in the clear? I'm interested in how this will go.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

yayfulness wrote:Oh, and Zed, as a Canadian, what are your thoughts on people threatening to move to Canada?
"Obama's too left-wing for me, I'm going to move to a country that's notorious for being consistently more left wing than the USA ever was. Obamacare will bring this country down, I'm moving somewhere with a universal health care system! Etc." ...really?

Also, this.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I'm also reminded of this.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

TBS, essentially, states are the ones who go after private individuals, feds go after growers and dealers. So if you aren't a grower and dealer, you should be fine 99% of the time.
Deus ab veritas
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I forgot it was the election most of the day (mailed in my ballot a month ago) and went to bed and woke up without remembering that I might have a new president today. I was mostly annoyed that my eye infection seemed to cure itself when I have to go into the doctor for it today. *super not-shallow*
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

Zedability wrote:
yayfulness wrote:Oh, and Zed, as a Canadian, what are your thoughts on people threatening to move to Canada?
"Obama's too left-wing for me, I'm going to move to a country that's notorious for being consistently more left wing than the USA ever was. Obamacare will bring this country down, I'm moving somewhere with a universal health care system! Etc." ...really?

Also, this.
Greatest comic ever.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I'm more sad about the sweep of Republicans in UT (I voted nearly straight-ticket Democrat this year) than I am excited about the Obama reelection.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I flicked on Fox News around midnight and had a chuckle at Karl Rove fighting against math.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I know folks who were at worst VERY small time dealers with federal charges, so this is why I'm interested.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Well, there's a difference between federal CHARGES and federal INVESTIGATIONS. What frequently happened in the past (and continues to happen in all the non-recreational-pot states) is that state authorities investigate, catch someone with pot, they are booked and charged, the state attorney general's office presses those charges, and puts in a phone call the the feds. Then, all the feds have to do is tack on an additional charge. No investigation, no catching criminals, not even a court case, since that all happens for the state. Guilty of one automatically makes you guilty of the other.

But without the initial charge, you can't make a subsequent charge, hence there isn't going to really be those federal charges.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

@TBS Three words: Maryland, Maine, and Washington. (woo!)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:I'm more sad about the sweep of Republicans in UT (I voted nearly straight-ticket Democrat this year) than I am excited about the Obama reelection.
What about Jim Matheson?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Matheson? Meh, he's a.......DINO.
Deus ab veritas
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Looks like I lost a friend due to my response to the election, or at the very least she's giving up on FB for a while. I know I shouldn't have posted on her status, but I was getting so frustrated with the drama from some of my Republican friends - the ones linking the White Horse Prophecy, declaring that these are indeed the last days, going on about the world ending... seriously guys! I really wanted Obama to win, but I would NOT have started crying about the end of days if he had lost!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.