If A Guy...

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Tally M.

Re: If A Guy...

Post by Tally M. »

thatonemom wrote:She bought a cute, tea-length dress that she liked and used that for her pictures/reception and got married in her temple dress. It was less expensive and not as incredibly heavy as most wedding dresses are.
You know, I actually think I like that idea. I'm a fairly simple person :P
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Katya wrote:(And for the sake of social signals, I think it's a good idea for married men and women to wear some sort of ring—health and safety permitting—but it doesn't have to be an engagement ring with a ginormous sparkly diamond.)
We've written before about our feelings on wedding rings and money...we went for real cheap...Sauron's fell off as we were taking wedding photos, never to be found again, and mine stopped fitting after I lost some weight last year. So now neither of us wears one. And we have never been hit on. But then that may just be due to our hideous faces.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

wait... I thought that Waldorf and Sauron were married....?
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

krebscout = Waldorf
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

oh!!!! Thanks, Zed!
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Ha, yeah, sorry. I wrote as krebscout while Sauron was on his mission, retired when he got home, then we got married and wrote together for a while.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I think I'd be a tad ticked if a guy spent an inordinate amount of money on a ring. He doesn't have spend his life savings on me to show that he loves me...and really, there *are* better uses.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I agree Tally. I want a ring, but not one with a boulder hanging off of it. something small, or set into the band. I'm so accident prone, I'd be scared I'd knock the diamond off the ring if it stuck out like other rings.....
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

diamond, precious stone, what have you.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

My temple dress is not cute at all, and while I know that's not important I'm still not enthusiastic about wearing it to get married BECAUSE I AM THAT SHALLOW.

So I at least have to have a wedding dress, but (without having shopped for or tried any on) my tastes tend to run to the simpler/less expensive.

As for rings, back when I was seriously dating someone I spent some time on that one site that does synthetic diamond rings, and they're really cheap and beautiful. My boyfriend was all, "I think I can spring for a real diamond" which we can use to point to why we're no longer dating, I guess. (They're real diamonds, they're just not mined.)

All that matters to me as far as rings go is size: small. I have the tiniest fingers ever (to this day I have met maybe one adult person with fingers as short as mine and that might be a made-up memory) and big rings look totes ridic. Also I would be annoyed at the extra weight for when I type/play piano/etc.

And while I have decided that my opinion does matter enough to make a post, my ideal proposal would mainly be not like my sister's. (Sorry! Nothing wrong with it! Just not my style.) Nothing elaborate or spectacle-y for me. Besides that, I don't really have any dreams. I wouldn't even mind if it happened in front of my family. Or in the car, as long as he stopped driving long enough to put the ring on my finger and let me kiss him (kissing while driving is not encouraged).
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

C is for wrote:My temple dress is not cute at all, and while I know that's not important I'm still not enthusiastic about wearing it to get married BECAUSE I AM THAT SHALLOW.
ME TOO. *high five*

And I fully support women who like the idea of getting married in their temple dress, but sometimes it seems like the rhetoric in that corner has gotten to the point where it's considered self-centered to want to have your wedding in a wedding dress.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

UffishThought wrote:Though in light of Katya's recent post (and I agree, the guy shouldn't really make the decision of ring or no ring FOR his wife) I should admit that all of the guys who I dated seriously wanted a fancier wedding than the one in my head. I expect I'll have to compromise, if I ever get married.
A friend of mine once broke up with a guy over a (theoretical) engagement ring: He wanted to give his future wife a big diamond and she didn't want a diamond at all. (It wasn't the only issue in the relationship, but it was indicative of the many ways in which they were not on the same page.)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Katya wrote:
C is for wrote:My temple dress is not cute at all, and while I know that's not important I'm still not enthusiastic about wearing it to get married BECAUSE I AM THAT SHALLOW.
ME TOO. *high five*

And I fully support women who like the idea of getting married in their temple dress, but sometimes it seems like the rhetoric in that corner has gotten to the point where it's considered self-centered to want to have your wedding in a wedding dress.
Word. Other than my grandma, the only person I know who got married in her temple dress did so because the guy kept procrastinating proposing, then his parents got called on a mission and he realized he didn't want to wait until they got back to be married, so he proposed and they were married a WEEK LATER.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Katya wrote:
ME TOO. *high five*

I don't think it should matter whether or not you want to get married in your wedding dress. I mean, as long as its modest and not a huge ordeal, does it really matter if its your temple dress or your wedding dress? Cause really, this is a one time thing (hopefully). You'll be wearing your temple dress for a long while after.
Portia

Post by Portia »

The clarity of the stone matters a great deal to me. D___it, I want something sparkly.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I've never been much of a jewelery person, really, but I admit I did want a nice shiny sparkly diamond engagement ring ... Marx and I ended up going with a "non-traditionally colored" diamond because it was so much less expensive. It's still super-sparkly because it has good clarity, but if you look closely it has a slight yellow* tint. We might someday upgrade for a higher quality stone, but honestly it's much further down on the list of priorities than things like a puppy, a piano, and an apartment/house large enough for said puppy and piano.

*the saleswoman called it "champagne"
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:The clarity of the stone matters a great deal to me. D___it, I want something sparkly.
Truthfully, I'd love to have a fluorescent diamond, because fluorescence is just cool. Unfortunately, it's considered a flaw, so nicer stores probably wouldn't carry them.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

THERE ARE FLUORESCENT DIAMONDS?!

I CHANGED MY MIND

MY OPINIONS ON RINGS ARE VERY VERY SPECIFIC NOW
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Zedability wrote:THERE ARE FLUORESCENT DIAMONDS?!

I CHANGED MY MIND

MY OPINIONS ON RINGS ARE VERY VERY SPECIFIC NOW
:lol: You're a woman after my own heart.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Very, very cool. Sparkly and glowy.

http://www.gia.edu/lab-reports-services ... uorDia.pdf