Library Chat People

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Library Chat People

Post by Squirrel »

Have you ever clicked on one of those "Chat With A Librarian" windows on the HBLL website? You should. Library Chat people are awesome. They answer your questions like there's no tomorrow, and are incredibly helpful. In their own way, they are a mini 100 hour board. No, let's say a Five Minute Board. Yeah. Now, granted, their job is to answer questions about the library, and don't have the responsibility of answering life's mind-boggling questions, such as: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? (Don't try this one. It's in the archives.)

I've always wondered who those people were behind the chat window, so I did a little experiment to find out. I opened a chat window and asked the same question to every floor*, "what's your favorite kind of ice cream". This question was asked to gauge the chatter's personality because of its complete irrelevance to the Library's main purpose. Here are the results:

Floor 1- Green Tea
Floor 2-Graham Canyon
Floor 3-Snozberry Swirl **
Floor 4- *
Floor 5- Chocolate

In order to verify floorage: At the beginning of each conversation, I said "Hi" (because It's polite) and then, "What floor are you on?".

Floor 1- Werf was the friendliest (bonus points for asking me what my favorite ice cream flavor is, and recommending I go to Baskin Robins for that particular flavor)
Floor 2- Werf was the most skeptical of my question, but quickest to respond with their favorite flavor.
Floor 3- Werf was the biggest fan of the 100 Hour Board
Floor 4- *
Floor 5- Werf was the most cool sounding (answered with: "In a word, chocolate.")

[ Insert interesting commentary here]

* Every time I tried getting the fourth floor, it ended up being the Floor Five Chatter. Oops! Sorry!
** I met Chatter 3 again today, and werf was crushed that none of us realized that Snozberry Swirl was a reference to "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pwvB4_Te8A" Haha! Chatter 3, that was great!!
(Chatter 3's actual favorite flavor is Graham Canyon)

Chatter 3 gets bonus points for being so friendly and personable.
Last edited by Squirrel on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Re: Library Chat People

Post by Squirrel »

Always wanted to do that! Don't worry. Huge posts won't happen again.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'm a big fan of original research, and you, squirrel, have performed it.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

You had issues with the fourth floor data? You and Labov would have a lot to talk about!

I used Library Chat a few times to help answer Board questions. They were wonderful! That seems like such a fun job. And one of my friends worked there and sometimes I would get him, and he would ask very subtly if this was "for something, you know, wink wink." Hilarious.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

You call THAT a huge post?

Oh yeah, these young whippersnappers don't remember Vorpal Blade.
Deus ab veritas
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

(I made it very clear to the Chatters that I am not a writer, so as not to impersonate the Omniscient ones.)
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Whistler wrote:I'm a big fan of original research, and you, squirrel, have performed it.
I was terrified of what you guys would think of me. But Whistler- you have made my day! I am positively giddy that you liked it :-D
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Marduk wrote:You call THAT a huge post?

Oh yeah, these young whippersnappers don't remember Vorpal Blade.
QFT
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

What/Who is QFT?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

QFT = Quoted For Truth
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Squirrel, if you ever get a strong desire to turn your brain to mush, read this conversation between Vorpal and Tao. It may not have the longest posts ever, but it'll acquaint you with Vorpal Blade a bit.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Thanks! I was looking for something of werf's to read.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Dead Cat wrote:Squirrel, if you ever get a strong desire to turn your brain to mush, read this conversation between Vorpal and Tao. It may not have the longest posts ever, but it'll acquaint you with Vorpal Blade a bit.
ugh. Yep, Kitty, you were right about the mush. I couldn't stand more than a few sentences. It was like reading a NOVA documentary: they're only mildly understandable if a television is included. I really do enjoy documentaries, just for the record.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Squirrel is the anti-Vorpal Blade. Her soul is pure. And she's about a third his age. And she's going to restart my fan club. Stalking me will be a thing again. It will be like Sunset Boulevard for the Board.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

PS my favorites were the ones where VB and Marduk would get all riled up over politics and then start name calling.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:PS my favorites were the ones where VB and Marduk would get all riled up over politics and then start name calling.
Repent ye, repent ye.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

To be fair, most of the name calling was affectionate and in jest.
Deus ab veritas
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Portia wrote:Squirrel is the anti-Vorpal Blade. Her soul is pure. And she's about a third his age. And she's going to restart my fan club. Stalking me will be a thing again. It will be like Sunset Boulevard for the Board.
Portia

Post by Portia »

squirrel wrote:
Portia wrote:Squirrel is the anti-Vorpal Blade. Her soul is pure. And she's about a third his age. And she's going to restart my fan club. Stalking me will be a thing again. It will be like Sunset Boulevard for the Board.
I think instead of studying for your midterms, someone should make a tee shirt for this club.
Talons

Post by Talons »

Is Vorpal Blade gone for good? I'm off and on in this forum, so I can't remember, but it seems like he was going to play chess and then was never heard from again, is that right?