# 72717 Movie trends

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

The Happy Medium

# 72717 Movie trends

Post by The Happy Medium »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72717/

I was bored last night so I made this. It's a chart for the top ten movies that have come out in the last thirty years. Pretty interesting data if you ask me.
Attachments
Information from wikipedia.org
Information from wikipedia.org
Movie trend chart.png (44.69 KiB) Viewed 7973 times
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: # 72717 Movie trends

Post by Katya »

Wow. We do love our sequels, these days, don't we?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Great chart!
Katya wrote:Wow. We do love our sequels, these days, don't we?
I guess, but I know I'm not the only one who hates them. In fact, I pretty much refuse to go see them.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Yarjka wrote:Great chart!
Katya wrote:Wow. We do love our sequels, these days, don't we?
I guess, but I know I'm not the only one who hates them. In fact, I pretty much refuse to go see them.
I'll go see them in the theater if they get really good reviews, but generally not otherwise. (I saw The Dark Knight Rises in the theater, but I can't think of any other sequels I've seen in the theater in the past few years, assuming you don't count The Avengers as a sequel to the previous Marvel films.)
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

I wasn't quite sure whether to count reboots as sequels or adaptations, especially for film franchises like James Bond and Batman. I decided that I'd count the first movie with a new actor as an adaptation and subsequent films as sequels, which is how the original data done.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

In the defense of sequels and adaptations, that's a good amount of what Shakespeare wrote and nobody seemed to mind.

I think dismissing a film because it's a sequel is foolish, but so is giving it a pass and letting the good will earned by an earlier film in the series make you give higher praise than the new film deserves. Plenty of original films are terrible, plenty of sequels are terrible, plenty of adaptations are terrible. But there are also plenty of good films in each category.

Judge the film on its own merits. If you refuse to see sequels just because it's a sequel you'll be missing out on some good movies.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Mostly, this is a list of good sequels, but most of them are not better than the original.
In any case, it seems clear from looking over that list that if I didn't like the original, I'm bound to hate the sequel, so there's no point in seeing it.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I don't really have strong opinions about sequels in general, but I will say that Iron Man 3 was great, and X-Men: First Class was great, and those two lonely data points make me think that if a sequel gives character development beyond the original, then I'll probably like it.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

First Class was a prequel. And also a terrible, terrible movie.

(sorry mico, your opinion is invalid)

But a few sequels that are great, off the top of my head: Gremlins 2. Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Most of the Muppet movies.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

:( Ummmmmm okay.

Since my opinion is already invalid, I'll go ahead and also say that I like the Star Wars prequels and the Jurassic Park sequels. Maybe I just enjoy movies. ETA: AND Indiana Joneseses. Not saying any of those were "great movies" but that they were enjoyable.
Last edited by mic0 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Looking at that list of sequels that are better...I have a big beef with Aliens being listed as better than Alien.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Ha, sorry, mico that was a complete joke. Your opinion is perfectly valid, I'm just being silly
mic0

Post by mic0 »

We're cool! And that list of sequels that are better than the originals also listed Toy Story 2 as better than Toy Story?? I don't know about all that.