Jack in the Box

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

C is for
um Administrator

Jack in the Box

Post by C is for »

So the reason there's no Jack in the Box in Utah is because of all the little kids that got food poisoning (or, like, E. coli) from it one time and all their Utah restaurants had to shut down. This was back 20 years ago so I'm not too surprised that none of the Board writers came across it. I learned about it in my Food Handler's Permit class about 10 years ago, when there were still people in that industry that remembered that big scandal. (In searching for it myself, the news seems to be focused mainly on the Northwest, which is another reason I'm not too surprised it didn't come up.)

Looks like they're slowly making a comeback, at least to southern areas.
Whistler

Re: Jack in the Box

Post by Whistler »

oh, yeah, I remember that. My mom told us that was the reason we never went there.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

I have to say, I ate at Jack in th Box when I was in California and I was thoroughly unimpressed. I would be perfectly content if it never came back to Utah.

It's interesting that this is one of those cases of a franchise leaving the state as opposed to never being here. We're not that backwards in Utah, really.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Utah isn't backward in that it doesn't have certain franchises. Utah is backwards in that almost all of its restaurants are franchises.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:Utah isn't backward in that it doesn't have certain franchises. Utah is backwards in that almost all of its restaurants are franchises.
I feel the same about the other obsession of Californians... In & Out. Gross. Best burger in the state is probably the non-franchise Creamery, followed by SmashBurger.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

No, best burger in the state is probably JCW's. But I agree that In & Out is not worthy of consumption.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
No Dice
Board Writer

Post by No Dice »

C is for wrote:So the reason there's no Jack in the Box in Utah is because of all the little kids that got food poisoning (or, like, E. coli) from it one time and all their Utah restaurants had to shut down. This was back 20 years ago so I'm not too surprised that none of the Board writers came across it. I learned about it in my Food Handler's Permit class about 10 years ago, when there were still people in that industry that remembered that big scandal. (In searching for it myself, the news seems to be focused mainly on the Northwest, which is another reason I'm not too surprised it didn't come up.)

Looks like they're slowly making a comeback, at least to southern areas.
This is really interesting. It looks like nobody in Utah was infected in the 1993 outbreak, but I assume the restaurant closures went beyond the infected states. If you have a reference on the Utah store closures, I'd appreciate it--that's an interesting story, and in disappointed we missed it.

In other news, Coney's makes the best burger in the state.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Thinking about fast food in different places made me curious about McDonald's all the way in India. As I expected, there doesn't appear to be any beef on the menu. Mostly chicken and veggie, though I do see sausage McMuffins. That Veg McMuffin looks gross.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Burger Supreme, guys. Mmm.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Burger Supreme is decent on the burger end, but I don't like their fries and that's a huge black mark against a restaurant for me. I prefer Apollo Burger.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Honestly? I love their fries. And their fry sauce. And their gyros.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I had Aggie Ice Cream for the first time yesterday, and I guess I'm sectarian, because I still think BYU's is better, though I'd choose gelato any day.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I like Aggie Ice Cream okay, but I think it's too sweet compared to BYU Creamery. Sometimes people prefer that, but I don't.