Therapy is dumb.

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Whistler

Re: Therapy is dumb.

Post by Whistler »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
Whistler wrote:confession: I once went to a therapist at BYU's medical center in hopes of helping to treat my IBS.

I hope beyond hope that there is something else that IBS stands for besides Irritable Bowel Syndrome, because 1) that would mean I know way more about Whistler than I ever wanted to, and 2) I would wonder what kind of counselors they have up at BYU.
nope, it stands for irritable bowl syndrome! Some studies have shown therapy to somewhat alleviate IBS symptoms. For some people anxiety comes out in the way they digest things, is that so hard to believe?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Anxiety totally has an impact on digestion! That's why the first two doctors thought I had celiac/a whole host of allergies.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

It's like when people talk about butterflies in their stomach, or being so nervous they could throw up. (ok, not really. It's a lot more serious than that) But it's pretty common for anxiety and the gut to be coupled together.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Whistler wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
Whistler wrote:confession: I once went to a therapist at BYU's medical center in hopes of helping to treat my IBS.

I hope beyond hope that there is something else that IBS stands for besides Irritable Bowel Syndrome, because 1) that would mean I know way more about Whistler than I ever wanted to, and 2) I would wonder what kind of counselors they have up at BYU.
nope, it stands for irritable bowl syndrome! Some studies have shown therapy to somewhat alleviate IBS symptoms. For some people anxiety comes out in the way they digest things, is that so hard to believe?
So, #1 is correct. Hmm. ;)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

:-)
Digit

Post by Digit »

I knew a guy with IBS who said he had a little card in his wallet that by showing required businesses whose restrooms were only for paying customers to let him use it without having to buy anything. In my state, at least.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Aaaaaand now therapy discussion has turned into discussion of bowel movements...
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Aaaaaand now therapy discussion has turned into discussion of bowel movements...
As has been pointed out, the two are not distantly related.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

You know who needs the intervention of a trained psychologue, stat? My brother with his untrammeled, irrational rage. :-(

I hate getting caught in this internecine feud. It's so mentally exhausting. I'm legitimately concerned for his innocent missionary companions.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Why is he still on his mission?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:
Whistler wrote:confession: I once went to a therapist at BYU's medical center in hopes of helping to treat my IBS. The therapist asked me some questions and diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder. I cried and never went back. I was a psychology major who worked in BYU's counseling center and I didn't want to be one of "them." As much as I gave lip service to "oh yeah we shouldn't stigmatize mental health," that doesn't mean I actually believed it about myself. Looking back, I wish that therapist hadn't been so eager to give me a diagnosis (although I understand that it was probably necessary for insurance purposes). I know that I internalize most of my anxiety and it gives me health problems, but it has taken a lot of medical tests for me to accept that (and sometimes my medical problems aren't anxiety-caused, which just makes it more complicated).

I feel like I can manage my anxiety pretty well, but these are skills I've learned, many of them through my psychologist mentor of my undergraduate years. I can understand your reluctance about therapy. I think it would do you good, but research shows that bibliotherapy can also be helpful. Rather than becoming overwhelmed with self-help books, it works best if you choose one and go gung-ho on it. I'm a fan of Albert Ellis's work, so I'd recommend A Guide to Rational Living, but the research shows that the particular book doesn't matter as much as you putting some trust in its advice. One of my favorite parts of Ellis's philosophy is that he believes that everyone is a little neurotic, which I find helps relieve me of some of the stigma I have against seeing myself as having a mental illness.
Well, considering my personality and symptoms, many of the great women in literature displayed a lot of the same symptoms and either (A) committed suicide or (B) drove their partners to suicide. WOOO.
OK, but the point of literature is for interesting or dramatic or meaningful things to happen in the plot, not to reflect real life odds. A book that ended "and then things were mostly pretty good, with occasional bad spells, for the rest of their lives" would be pretty boring. (Except I bet Allie Brosh could pull it off.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

TheBlackSheep wrote:Why is he still on his mission?
Without going into too great of detail, he can't deal with our home life. He believes that staying will keep him from descending into a life of dissipation.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:
Without going into too great of detail, he can't deal with our home life. He believes that staying will keep him from descending into a life of dissipation.
:( Poor guy.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:
:( Poor guy.
It gets worse. If you people thought I was a rebel of sorts at BYU, this kid has gone off the deep end. I had heard stories of what some missionaries get up to, but his last companion ... it's pretty bad. It seems like the new one is a little less of a subversive, but I feel almost worse for the other missionaries than I do for my own brother. He certainly is going through a selfish phase, which I guess I did at that age, as well.

The Church does things to a certain kind of personality. I was always more morally flexible, less black and white, and not too hard on myself when I fell short. He did a complete 180. It is so stressful. I have moved beyond "I want him to be a good missionary" to "OMG please don't do anything stupid OMG why."

He is clearly depressed and needs counseling. Instead, I think he gets a slap on the wrist and sent on his way. My boyfriend thinks this is going to be a case where the Mission President regrets counseling the Elder to stay. COULDN'T AGREE MORE.

At least he went to the U. Sigh.
Portia

Post by Portia »

And then I read this.
Police hunt gunman in Paris after newspaper, bank shootings
AHHHHHHH.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Portia, I feel so badly for your brother that I can't even begin.

In other news, I take back the title of this thread. Therapy, with the right therapist, is AWESOME.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Just thought I'd check in and say that I freaking love my counselor so far (as far as two sessions can tell me). The Comprehensive Clinic seems to be way better than CAPS/CCC.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I wonder why that is! I've heard that graduate student therapists are the best at incorporating evidence-based practices, but I think both the CCC and the Comprehensive Clinic have grad students (although maybe the CCC has the Master's students and the Clinic has the PhD students?). I researched and did data entry on therapy outcomes at the CCC as an undergrad, so I guess it's an interest of mine.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Hooray! I'm so glad!
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

A+ work!