Move out of your parents house already!

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

S.A.M.

Move out of your parents house already!

Post by S.A.M. »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75577/

Sounds to me like she needs to just move out of her parents house instead of looking for sketchy rebellious sheltered mormon girls things to do. (If she is adult age)
Whistler

Re: Move out of your parents house already!

Post by Whistler »

if she's a teenager, she might want to do some kinda rebellious thing because that's what teenagers do. In which case she could also play assassin's creed or start listening to pop-metal. Oh, and wearing black or dark-colored nail polish, because somehow that seems really rebellious in my head (I hardly ever wear nail polish though).
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

My mother still views half my decisions as specifically rebellious (apparently there's no other possible reason for me to want to dye my hair or not get married), and I'm 25 and moved out over three years ago.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

She's only 18, and is saving for a mission. Once she's back, I'd tell her to move out. I'm really not sure why she wants to rebel but then doesn't want to do any of the "rebellious" things... It's a bit odd. But you know, helping out a friend and potentially getting in trouble can be entertaining. I wasn't even there for the conversation. Shattered Rift asked me to get input.

Any other ideas are appreciated. Yog had great ideas, but a longer list would be fun to type up and hand to her. We could have this big list and say "Here, choose one."
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

umm wearing eyeliner and mascara? I guess that's more like "something girly I hardly ever do" rather than rebellious. She could also read religious texts for other religions, that always makes me feel a little rebellious.
Portia

Re: Move out of your parents' house already!

Post by Portia »

I feel like a Mormon Rumspringa almost has to include NCMO, by definition.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Curfew, R-rated movies, and hair color are good options. I highly recommend Shawdhank Redemption. Maybe just watch it on cable and bask in the appearance of evil? Maybe a skirt she's comfortable in but draws comments from parents? Going to other churches' services? Reading something her parents said she shouldn't (I still haven't read any Judy Blume but reading Babysitter's Club as an elementary student made me feel so powerful)

And unfortunately Portia's right. NCMO is pretty standard. Not recommended if not clearly defined as such before hand, but definitely a rite of rebellion.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

I second Whistler - Read other religious texts.
Attend church at other denominations.
(Both these activities would also be very beneficial to her if she does serve a mission.)
Open a bank account independently of, and at a separate institution from, her parents.
Don't sit with your parents during a Sacrament meeting (bonus for sitting on the back row of the overflow)(double bonus for sitting in the foyer).
Go play paintball.
Buy a lottery ticket.
Wear pants to church.
If she's really brave wear pants, a white shirt and tie to church.
Go on a date with a non-member guy. (bonus if he picks her up on a motorcycle).
T.P. someone's house.
Let her room get messy, really messy.
Eat dinner food for breakfast, and breakfast food for dinner.
Hang out in the nursery instead of going to Sunday School or Relief Society.
Last edited by S.A.M. on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

S.A.M. wrote:I second Whistler - Read other religious texts.
Wear pants to church.
Hang out in the nursery instead of going to Sunday School or Relief Socety.
These are all great ideas. I can't believe I didn't think of suggesting pants at church.

One thing my sister has done is purchase sleeveless dresses. She does have a jacket that matches them and usually wears said jacket to church, but she has no qualms about going jacketless as well.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

She could also do a fortune telling for herself, or buy Tarot cards.
Or read Sunstone (the archives are online https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/magazine/)
Portia

Post by Portia »

She could become a board writer and publicly disagree with the premises of Conference talks. When I was your age/kids these days/lazy millennials.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Get a temporary tattoo
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Vote for Obama.
Deus ab veritas
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Purchase and carry around a lighter in her purse. (bonus if it is a Bob Marley lighter)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Drink a can of beer on a dare. Hey, Mitt Romney did it.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

S.A.M. wrote:I second Whistler - Read other religious texts.
(Both these activities would also be very beneficial to her if she does serve a mission.)
Open a bank account independently of, and at a separate institution from, her parents.
Don't sit with your parents during a Sacrament meeting (bonus for sitting on the back row of the overflow)(double bonus for sitting in the foyer).
Go play paintball.
Buy a lottery ticket.
Wear pants to church.
T.P. someone's house.
Eat dinner food for breakfast, and breakfast food for dinner.
Hang out in the nursery instead of going to Sunday School or Relief Society.
That's an awesome list S.A.M.! Thanks.

I'm really liking all of the ideas about going to other churches. For pretty much anyone that would be a great sign of rebellion as well as a learning experience. I'd have to ask if that would get the right reaction though. Her parents are converts.

Wearing pants, white shirt, and tie would also be pretty great.

I need to find a non-member guy for her. I might have a really great option if I can get my sister onboard with convincing him....
bobtheenchantedone wrote: One thing my sister has done is purchase sleeveless dresses. She does have a jacket that matches them and usually wears said jacket to church, but she has no qualms about going jacketless as well.
This would also be good. It tends to be less uncomfortable than other modesty-related things. Low cut necklines and shorter skirts might not make her feel sufficiently covered. But a sleeveless dress is less sketchy looking but would make a point. :)

You guys rock!
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Read some banned books.
Wear inappropriate shoes for the weather - like flip flops in the winter. (Seriously, my mom would throw a fit if I wore flip flops after September. If she wouldn't have made an issue of it, I'd have worn them once, frozen my toes off, and never bothered with it again)
Drink pop with breakfast.
Stay up all night.
If she's still in high school, tell her YW leaders she doesn't want to finish her personal progress.
Go vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free for awhile
Learn about/celebrate another culture or religion's holiday.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Flip flops outside the pool/beach are kind of grungy, tbh. Boat shoes are the thinking woman's choice.
robotfish

Post by robotfish »

She could bake a coffee cake, I always feel a little rebellious eating those.
Portia

Post by Portia »

robotfish wrote:She could bake a coffee cake, I always feel a little rebellious eating those.
<eyeroll>

That's like feeling rebellious for listening to Barenaked Ladies.