Carpe Diem

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
UffishThought

Carpe Diem

Post by UffishThought »

In the class I'm teaching, I'm covering some of those great poems that use carpe diem as kind of a pickup line; things like To the Virgins to Make Much of Time and To His Coy Mistress.

In an effort to show that those kinds of arguments are still relevant today, I want to mention a few similar modern applications. So far I've come up with three:

We Are Young by fun.
Counting Stars by OneRepublic
When You Are Old and Grey by Tom Lehrer (okay, it's not that modern. But it's too perfect not to share!)

Do any others spring to mind?
Stego Lily

Re: Carpe Diem

Post by Stego Lily »

Light a Roman Candle With Me by fun.
Live While We're Young by One Direction
Die Young by Ke$ha
Stego Lily

Post by Stego Lily »

4 minutes, by Madonna. Kind of. Less of a "get your kicks while you're young sense" and more "the world is going to end in a few minutes so let's have us some sexy times first."
Amity

Post by Amity »

Isn't the whole YOLO thing all about this?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

"We've got tonight" - Bob Seger
"Baby it's cold outside"

.....Um, I think I'm showing my age...
Deus ab veritas
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

When we finished discussing the poem and I gave them time to do the questions in the book that go with it, I put on my little playlist. Live While We're Young came on first, and the the kids laughed out loud and got it right away. It was perfect. Hooray! thanks for the suggestions.