76017 Frozen

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Dead Cat
Completed

76017 Frozen

Post by Dead Cat »

link
I also loved this movie. But I kind of hate the trolls and their song. These are the supposed "love experts" who try to force a marriage between Anna and Kristoff not only right after they met (which is something Kristoff has explicitly learned from them), but knowing full well that Anna was engaged to someone else. It makes me want Anna and Kristoff to break up just to spite them.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Yarjka

Re: 76017 Frozen

Post by Yarjka »

I love Frozen. I've seen it many times now. I agree with all the positive reviews posted. Some wonderful stuff here, Disney did a great job.

As for the trolls, they've begun to grow on me. I didn't like them at all upon my first viewing, but I have since found some very good points of resonance in their song "fixer upper." The idea that they are "love experts" is more than a bit tongue-in-cheek. But consider the lyrics:

"His isolation is confirmation
Of his desperation for healing hugs"

"Get the fiance out of the way
And the whole thing will be fixed"

"People make bad choices if they're mad or scared or stressed
But throw a little love their way, and you'll bring out their best
True love brings out the best"

Apply these concepts to other points of the story (rather than the immediate act of fixing up) and the trolls actually hold the key to the whole film.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I don't even know what you think.

But I do know that we decided that our a capella group that we're starting (in theory. If it ever happens) is going to sing "Do you want to build a snowman."
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

A) We just barely saw it and I was so excited for it. But everyone kept posting everything on Facebook and I was always afraid of spoilers and I hated it (even though I knew it was my own fault), so I'm really glad that this question and this thread waited for me to see it.

B) We took Dragon Baby to see it. It's only her second theater experience and it's the only one she remembers. I think the last one was maybe 2 years ago? It was to see Arthur Christmas. Anyway, she loved it. We listen to Pandora's Disney station and Frozen comes on all the time. She can hear it from two rooms away and recognize the movie. Tonight she was running around in circles singing "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" complete with "Go away Anna" "Ok, bye." I am really impressed with how much of the music she not only recognizes, but can sing along with. Even right after watching it and only having heard the music once. It's impressive.

***SPOILERS***

C) My opinions. I liked it. I was a little surprised at the ...silliness? I'm not sure that's the right word. Light-heartedness? I don't know. Because other Disney shows have plenty of that. (Like Tangled which is one of my favorites.) Just the way it was done was out-of-place from what I was expecting, I guess. "Love is an Open Door" is a good example, song-wise. "We finish each other's sandwiches" and the way they imitate the clock. I don't know. I feel I'm being picky here. Especially cuz I can't really explain what it was that bugged me. But overall, I really did like it. I loved that the true love was between an act of saving herself with romantic true love and saving her sister with sisterly true love. I love that it didn't end with her and Christoph engaged or married, but dating.

I was sad at how the Dad handled Elsa's powers. I know he meant well. I think he thought he was doing the right thing. But teaching her "conceal, don't fell" is completely unrealistic. The trolls even told them that fear would be the cause of the disaster. Dad interpreted that as "ok, then. Don't feel, and you won't have fear!" But we see even as a teenager she's like, "Don't touch me! I don't want to hurt you!." Clearly this method has already failed...

I was sad at how when Elsa builds the ice castle she is so ready to just run from responsibility and family and be alone. I can understand. She can finally be herself without hurting anyone. But I was still sad for her, knowing what she was willingly giving up. And knowing that eventually it'd hit her. But then today we were listening to it in the car, the single version, and I heard some lyrics I hadn't heard before: "It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small, and the views that once controlled me can't get to me at all. Up here in the open air I finally can breathe. I know I left a life behind, but I'm too relieved to grieve." That made me feel better, because she at least acknowledges that she left something behind and that it deserves grieving. And hints that she'll get to it eventually. I'm pretty sure she doesn't sing that line in the movie itself, though.

Also, I'm part Norwegian. So... I loved the scenery and names, etc.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I agree with DL. The true love song was not something I loved. Otherwise I thought it was charming.

I still have one point of confusion. Wasn't seeing magic supposed to mess Anna up? How is she safe mentally now that she sees Elsa's powers?
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I have Many Thoughts, but I'll see if I can be satisfied with just posting a few things instead of a novel.

-I did not like Olaf. He was slightly redeemed by Sheebs's interpretation of him being a sort of outward manifestation of Elsa's repressed self, but even with that I still wish he'd not been in the movie or had been significantly changed.

-There were a few adult jokes in there, and I really appreciated that. Probably because I have a dirty mind.

-"Frozen Heart" is the best. I went in the theater expecting to enjoy myself, but I fell in love with that opening.

-I identify a lot with Elsa, especially because I see a lot of parallels between her powers and the depression and anxiety I struggle with. (I especially found it interesting that the troll asks if she'd been born or cursed with the powers.)

-Cannot express how happy I am that the act of true love not only didn't involve a man but was Anna's act rather than something acting upon her. Love love love. Also pleased that the love at first sight trope was thoroughly subverted not only with Hans turning out to be evil but also with the relationship between Anna and Kristoff building more slowly - even at the end of the movie it's clear they aren't a couple. Also, HE ASKS IF HE CAN KISS HER. THANK YOU.

-The true love song was a little annoying, but I think that was part of the point.

-Random will not stop singing "Do you want to build a snowman?" The fact that that song includes the line "it doesn't have to be a snowman" led to a quite detailed snow dog being built in Marduk's backyard.

SBS, I think that they had to keep the magic a secret because Anna had proved to be very good at convincing Elsa to use her powers and they were afraid if she still knew about them the same accident would happen again.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:-I did not like Olaf.
I agree. I wasn't the biggest fan of him, and while the song was funny, I always skip his song when I'm listening to the soundtrack.

I also disagree with with the way Elsa's father handled the situation. It seems like not using her powers ended up making them worse rather than making it better.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Josh Gad is annoying, so I'm not surprised Olaf would be, too.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I think Olaf has moments. When he introduces himself and Anna realizes who he is, it's just adorable. And I enjoyed a couple of other scenes where he was sweetly innocent. But most of the time it was way too overdone and annoying.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

never seen it.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

bismark wrote:never seen it.
this can easily be rectified.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Why would I see a children's film that's not Pixar?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Portia wrote:Why would I see a children's film that's not Pixar?
Because Tangled is one of the best children's movies out there, in my opinion. Including Pixar.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Portia wrote:Why would I see a children's film that's not Pixar?
Because Tangled is one of the best children's movies out there, in my opinion. Including Pixar.
Hmm. I think I'll go see it tonight. Review upcoming. Idina Menzel sold me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Also, why did no one mention that this Kristoff guy is super hot?

Portia

Post by Portia »

This chick also looks quite a bit like me. I think I have a couples Halloween costume idea!

Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Oh yeah. Elsa's singing voice (I don't know about her speaking voice; never looked it up) is Elphaba from Wicked. :D Another good reason. :D
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Yep. You get the whole package. All Idina Menzel.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Question about Kristoff. I assumed at the beginning that he was out cutting ice with his dad. But then later it indicates that he has no family and was all alone. I just assume he got sidetracked when he first saw the trolls and went back home when he was done. What am I missing?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Dragon Lady wrote:Question about Kristoff. I assumed at the beginning that he was out cutting ice with his dad. But then later it indicates that he has no family and was all alone. I just assume he got sidetracked when he first saw the trolls and went back home when he was done. What am I missing?
He's an orphan. The ice cutters pay him no mind, they're busy.
That's alright, though. My first viewing I didn't even make the connection between the kid at the beginning and Kristoff. I didn't realize they were the same person. These things take me awhile.