Were women illiterate in the Bible and Book of Mormon?

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

Were women illiterate in the Bible and Book of Mormon?

Post by vorpal blade »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76782/

It appears Yayfulness didn't know the answer "off the top of my head." I was wondering if anyone here knows.

One woman I thought of after I asked my question was the daughter of Jared. As I recalled she was familiar with some ancient writings. When I looked it up it appears she was familiar with the writings, but it isn't clear she could actually read them herself.
Ether 8:9 wrote:Now the daughter of Jared was exceedingly fair. And it came to pass that she did talk with her father, and said unto him: Whereby hath my father so much sorrow? Hath he not read the record which our fathers brought across the great deep? Behold, is there not an account concerning them of old, that they by their secret plans did obtain kingdoms and great glory?
We see instances of unnamed men reading and writing, but I haven't found an instance of women reading in the Bible or Book of Mormon.
Whistler

Re: Were women illiterate in the Bible and Book of Mormon?

Post by Whistler »

interesting
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I take issue with several things yayfulness said in his answer.
yayfulness wrote:For whatever reason, individual women were considered of no historical importance by the writers of the Book of Mormon. Only three women are mentioned by name (Nephi's mother Sariah, the Lamanite woman Abish, and the harlot Isabel). The fact that Nephi had sisters is mentioned only once. Women are referred to collectively, but almost never individually.
I can think of at least three more women mentioned in the Book of Mormon by name, Eve, Sarah, and Mary. They are not exclusive to the Book of Mormon, but they are important to the story.

There are several more women individually mentioned, but not by name, who are historically important. The queen who married Amalickiah. The queen who married Lamoni, of whom Ammon said, "Blessed art thou because of thy exceeding faith; I say unto thee, woman, there has not been such great faith among all the people of the Nephites." The mother of Lamoni. The daughter of Jared. They and many others all played important historical roles though we don't know their names. For that matter from the Book of Mormon we don't know the name of the brother of Jared, but you wouldn't say that he was of no historical importance!

The fact that often times women are referred to collectively does not lessen their importance to the culture and to their history. The role they often played does not lend itself to fame, but was nonetheless extremely important. What would Helaman's 2000 young warriors have been without their mothers? "yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it." Unsung heroines are heroines just the same. Why diminish their power and influence just because you don't know the details of their lives? They are known to God.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

They're known to God, but I think his point is they're not known to US as well, because the writers of the BoM didn't give us too much information. Sometimes that annoys me, sometimes it doesn't.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Just a couple clarifications. First, in regards to the comment that was left, I should have been more clear--only three women who were participants in the events in the Book of Mormon are known by name. Obviously there are many other women who do appear, and there are several from other historical periods who are mentioned by name. I don't think this says anything at all about how God feels about women. My comments are purely speculation on how Nephite culture viewed women.