#78039 boob jobs in the Morridor

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

#78039 boob jobs in the Morridor

Post by Portia »

Basically they don't come out against cosmetic surgery for fear of a suburban housewife uprising. Here's an article with some perspective on perfectionism as it relates to fake boobs. (Eighteen and getting a boob job is just insanity, IMO.)
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Re: #78039 boob jobs in the Morridor

Post by Genuine Article »

I was really surprised that TSG and the reader think plastic surgery is less stigmatized. I've met Mormons who will admit to having tattoos, but the fact that nobody fesses up to having plastic surgery says something I think. Or maybe you never hear about it because talking about medical stuff is socially impolite. I only hear plastic surgery mentioned in a positive light in Mormon circles when people are talking about having breast reduction surgery. Which, if you think about it, is still a form of "enhancement," just in the other direction. Even then if anyone publicly mentions it as an option they have to clarify that of course they would never consider having it done until after they were done having children, because it would prevent them from breastfeeding.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Genuine Article wrote:Even then if anyone publicly mentions it as an option they have to clarify that of course they would never consider having it done until after they were done having children, because it would prevent them from breastfeeding.
I did not know that. Now I'm curious if the most common surgery is too make them bigger, or perkier.
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

Portia wrote:
Genuine Article wrote:Even then if anyone publicly mentions it as an option they have to clarify that of course they would never consider having it done until after they were done having children, because it would prevent them from breastfeeding.
I did not know that. Now I'm curious if the most common surgery is too make them bigger, or perkier.
As someone who recently did a month-long plastics rotation, augmentations are definitely way more common than reductions or mastopexies (a reduction actually makes them smaller, a mastopexy is a "lift").

But I came on here to say that I took a bit of an issue with the answer. I don't think that wanting cosmetic surgery indicates any kind of "deeper problem," and unless you're Heidi Montag, it's generally not "overhauling your body" at all. Does society place way too much emphasis on physical appearance and meeting certain body ideals? Of course it does. But I really fail to see a psychological or moral difference between someone wearing a push-up bra or chicken cutlets every day and someone getting a reasonable breast augmentation. I also don't think there's a substantial difference between someone getting a mini-face-lift because their sagging jawline ages them and someone going to the salon every three months to have their roots dyed because their gray hair ages them. Or between someone spending $500/year on Botox versus $500/year on fancy shoes. The only difference is that surgery is a bigger up-front investment in terms of money and recovery time than more everyday cosmetic things like makeup and hair dye and Spanx.

I just think that if someone has the money and they want to do something that will make them happy (and if they understand surgical risks and likelihood of scars, etc), then more power to them and let's all hold off on the pearl-clutching.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Genuine Article wrote:I only hear plastic surgery mentioned in a positive light in Mormon circles when people are talking about having breast reduction surgery. Which, if you think about it, is still a form of "enhancement," just in the other direction.
I very much disagree. I know multiple women who have had breast reduction surgery. It certainly wasn't out of concern for appearance (although I think that all of them, if I'm not mistaken, have a higher opinion of their appearance then they did before.) It was a legitimate health concern. These women experienced chronic back and joint pain and other health concerns, which were greatly assuaged by surgery. Large breasts can definitely be detrimental to one's health.
Deus ab veritas
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I agree with Marduk. And would also like to add that it can be performed in such a way that breastfeeding is still an option. If it's for health concerns (which is the experience I know about), it is more important for the reduction to happen before pregnancy and babies make them even bigger. Chronic back pain, trouble sleeping, and breathing difficulty will increase as the weight increases in hormone-swollen breasts. A close friend of mine opted to have a reduction before she even turned 20 because of these worries. Same friend wanted a nose job primarily for self-esteem issues. Turns out insurance covered both operations because they both would improve her ability to breath. Her overall health and her self-esteem have both improved.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Marduk wrote:
Genuine Article wrote:I only hear plastic surgery mentioned in a positive light in Mormon circles when people are talking about having breast reduction surgery. Which, if you think about it, is still a form of "enhancement," just in the other direction.
I very much disagree. I know multiple women who have had breast reduction surgery. It certainly wasn't out of concern for appearance (although I think that all of them, if I'm not mistaken, have a higher opinion of their appearance then they did before.) It was a legitimate health concern. These women experienced chronic back and joint pain and other health concerns, which were greatly assuaged by surgery. Large breasts can definitely be detrimental to one's health.
I don't understand what you could possibly disagree with. You disagree that I hear breast reductions talked of positively? All I said is that reduction can be viewed as an enhancement, which is to say, an improvement, which we're in complete agreement about.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

The implication was that it was a cosmetic surgery. It very much is not (usually.)
Deus ab veritas
Genuine Article
Board Writer

I never mentioned cosmetic surgery. I said plastic surgery, which cosmetic surgery falls under. And breast reduction surgery could be labeled as either depending on why someone's getting it. I know a woman who had a breast reduction to help her back pain. I know another woman who had a reduction because she wanted smaller breasts. I'm guessing their surgeries would be pretty much the same regardless of why they got them, so having a reduction for medical reasons has the added bonus of also being a cosmetic surgery, assuming they care what their breasts look like after their surgery. Because if it really were just about the back pain they'd have a double mastectomy and be done with it. But it's not just about the back pain.

To be clear, I'm not trying to vilify people who have plastic surgery, no matter the reason. All I'm saying is that most, if not all, plastic surgery has some component of cosmetics to it, either to restore something to its normal state, or to enhance it.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Again, assuming that breasts simply serve cosmetic purpose. I'm contending they do not.

Mostly I'm just disagreeing with your characterizing a breast reduction as an "enhancement," which has clear implication as being cosmetic.
Deus ab veritas