Non-BYU Approved Housing

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Non-BYU Approved Housing

Post by NerdGirl »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/78217/

I thought about posting this as a comment, but historically my comments never get posted so I'm just posting it here. But unless things have changed a lot in the last 5 years or so, it's actually not that hard to get a waiver to live in non-approved housing. I moved into non-approved housing when I started my master's because I was sick of having roommates. You don't actually have to get a waiver as a grad student (or at least you didn't used to), so I didn't get a waiver and it was fine, but I also had some friends who were still in undergrad who realized maybe non-approved housing was a good idea. I had another grad student friend who was moving into a house in south Provo, and 2 of our undergrad friends moved in with her. All they had to do was explain their reasons - they wanted to live there because it was quieter and more affordable (much more affordable, because the landlord let them work off rent by doing home improvement projects, and financial issues were a huge concern for one of my friends), and it allowed pets and had a yard with a garden - and I think all the roommates, including the one not required to live in approved housing, had to sign a paper saying they would still follow the BYU residential living standards part of the honor code. I know other people who did it as well, but I'm less familiar with the details of how they did it. Like Haleakalā said, it's so much easier to just try do things legitimately, and the HCO will find out if you are falsifying your address. If you have anything even remotely resembling a good reason for living there, from what I've seen, it's worth it to at least try to get a waiver. And I think the HCO doesn't actually have anything to do with approving waivers, it's just the housing office.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Non-BYU Approved Housing

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I have to say I always found it funny/somewhat annoying that I had to fill out and turn in extra paperwork in order to live with my parents. One of the times I applied they almost denied it, and I had to go in to reiterate that they are my parents, I didn't have the money to move out, and anyway my dad worked at BYU and was my ride to and from school.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.