D & C

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Yarjka

D & C

Post by Yarjka »

Question #78474

In 2003 or so, Elder Russel M. Nelson came to my mission in Ukraine and did a Q & A after his talk. He cut one of the elders off midsentence to correct him when he said "D & C" instead of "Doctrine & Covenants". It sounded more like a pet peeve to me than a matter of explicit counsel. He basically said that having medical training and experience, he associates "D & C" with something else entirely. He left it at that. You can do a Google search for "D & C" to find that "Dilation and Curettage" has all the hits, so I'm assuming this is what he meant.
Portia

Re: D & C

Post by Portia »

Yes, I almost left a comment to this effect, thinking the writer had omitted it entirely. He made an oblique reference, though, although it's not a UK-specific procedure. Medically-trained folks, is that a more common abortion method in the UK?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

my calligraphy teacher also mentioned that she didn't like it when other people use the abbreviation "D&C." The D&C procedure is also performed for miscarriages that don't spontaneously abort themselves.
robotfish

Post by robotfish »

The way people often pronounce it, you could also think they were talking about the DNC. Although I have a difficult time imagining a conversation where that sort of confusion would make sense...