Trouble respecting a priesthood leader

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Trouble respecting a priesthood leader

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/78479/

I'm going to disagree with H (surprise! that never happens /sarcasm) and say that it is totally okay to not respect priesthood leaders. What God requires is that we love others, not that we necessarily admire, look up to, or obey them. Even when they're in positions of power. Respect is something that you earn, and it is not earned through the laying on of hands no matter what calling you're being set apart for. I personally have no respect for my current bishop; no matter how good a person he is or how much good he does for the rest of the ward, the way he treated me was inexcusable.

To the asker:

You are not under obligation to obey this man or even meet with him. I definitely encourage being mature and doing what you can, but I also know that there are cases where the best course of action is to completely disengage - avoid him at church, attend another ward, or even take a break from church for a few weeks.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Re: Trouble respecting a priesthood leader

Post by Portia »

There have been cases of men in leadership positions (and not just in this Church/even religious) sexually assaulting others. There's an easy case that springs to mind where I would lose respect for someone. Or John Swallow. There's a "priesthood holder" I respect not at all.