Rant of the Day

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Rainbow_connection

Re: Rant of the Day

Post by Rainbow_connection »

That is frustrating! How close are you with your cousin? Do you think they could/would rearrange their date at this point if you talked to them?
Rainbow_connection

People always ask if my baby is a boy or a girl. Today she was wearing a pink dress and pink tights and someone at church asked me. Also I feel petty and vaguely like I'm being a bad feminist because this bothers me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Zedability wrote:My cousin got engaged yesterday and is planning to have the wedding at the beginning of May. Super frustrated because we've only been holding off on engagement for immigration related reasons and were planning to have OUR wedding at the beginning of May, and now we have to figure out a new date. And our lives are very busy next summer so they basically stole the only spot that works well for us. Ahhhh.
I think you should go ahead with your prior plans. We'd had the first week in September picked for months, because that's when my lease is up. Obviously immigration is not an issue, but he wants a more-formal proposal "moment;" meanwhile, the kid brother gets engaged out of the blue. He CLAIMS to maybe possibly being starting at BYU-H in the fall, but unlike him, I looked up their schedule, and their fall semester runs Aug 3 through Halloween. That's only seven months away! Who moves thousands of miles away and gets engaged with no game plan? I'm not going to twiddle my thumbs in Gilbert anyway, Mormon Niceness™ be damned, but I sure wish they'd pick a date besides "fall, I guess."

Trimming the guest list is fun, though.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Rainbow_connection wrote:People always ask if my baby is a boy or a girl. Today she was wearing a pink dress and pink tights and someone at church asked me. Also I feel petty and vaguely like I'm being a bad feminist because this bothers me.
awww! When people ask me I try to reassure them that all babies look the same at that age. It does seem like a dress and tights should have been a clue though :-).
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Whistler wrote:
Rainbow_connection wrote:People always ask if my baby is a boy or a girl. Today she was wearing a pink dress and pink tights and someone at church asked me. Also I feel petty and vaguely like I'm being a bad feminist because this bothers me.
awww! When people ask me I try to reassure them that all babies look the same at that age. It does seem like a dress and tights should have been a clue though :-).
That's kinda weird that they didn't take the hint from all the pink...
Portia

Post by Portia »

Emiliana wrote:
Whistler wrote:
That's kinda weird that they didn't take the hint from all the pink...
Blue is a girl's color. Pink as a derivative of red is masculine. -Victorian marketers
Rainbow_connection

I know there really aren't boy or girl colors and I hope she always feels comfortable wearing whatever she wants. Like I said, I wish it didn't bother me so much because it's so petty to care whether strangers correctly interpret the gender of her clothing. But it still does for some reason. Apparently I've internalized more about gender roles than I thought.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Rainbow_connection wrote:I know there really aren't boy or girl colors and I hope she always feels comfortable wearing whatever she wants. Like I said, I wish it didn't bother me so much because it's so petty to care whether strangers correctly interpret the gender of her clothing. But it still does for some reason. Apparently I've internalized more about gender roles than I thought.
Some people ask things like "Boy or girl?" without even thinking about it. My wife tells me that she has been asked this question even when the baby was completely exposed while changing the baby's diaper in the ladies room. So...if that doesn't give you a clue you can't expect clothing colors to clue you in.
Rainbow_connection

vorpal blade wrote:
Rainbow_connection wrote:I know there really aren't boy or girl colors and I hope she always feels comfortable wearing whatever she wants. Like I said, I wish it didn't bother me so much because it's so petty to care whether strangers correctly interpret the gender of her clothing. But it still does for some reason. Apparently I've internalized more about gender roles than I thought.
Some people ask things like "Boy or girl?" without even thinking about it. My wife tells me that she has been asked this question even when the baby was completely exposed while changing the baby's diaper in the ladies room. So...if that doesn't give you a clue you can't expect clothing colors to clue you in.
Hahaha, I haven't had that one yet. I guess I'll stop taking it personally. :)
Amity

Post by Amity »

Time for more Board Board pre-engagement angst! The process of getting my engagement ring has been completely frustrating and has taken way longer than I expected and I just want to be done with it so I can get engaged already, for Pete's sake. My boyfriend wants to wait until he has an actual ring to propose with it, but I'm about ready to just propose to him so we can finally make it official and start planning this wedding.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Amity wrote:Time for more Board Board pre-engagement angst! The process of getting my engagement ring has been completely frustrating and has taken way longer than I expected and I just want to be done with it so I can get engaged already, for Pete's sake. My boyfriend wants to wait until he has an actual ring to propose with it, but I'm about ready to just propose to him so we can finally make it official and start planning this wedding.
Welcome to my world :)
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Amity wrote:Time for more Board Board pre-engagement angst! The process of getting my engagement ring has been completely frustrating and has taken way longer than I expected and I just want to be done with it so I can get engaged already, for Pete's sake. My boyfriend wants to wait until he has an actual ring to propose with it, but I'm about ready to just propose to him so we can finally make it official and start planning this wedding.
You can start planning now. You could narrow down the date to a weekend or two and pick a temple or location, decide what type of food you'll have at your reception (if you'll have a reception) and start looking up costs of said food. You could maybe start looking at dresses (I say 'maybe' because some of your or his family members might want to be there, but it's best to keep the group small). You could start discussing a budget with your boyfriend, how much you want to spend on invitations, announcements, thank yous, food, clothes, etc. You could definitely start collecting addresses. I used Excel so I could print the addresses directly onto the envelopes because my handwriting is atrocious, this was also helpful when starting the thank yous.

Good luck with the wedding planning, just remember that things like the food, what everyone is wearing, and stuff doesn't really matter, at the end of the day, the important thing is that you're married.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

I want to spend $0.00 on that stuff, haha.

These are indeed the times that try [wo]men's souls.
Amity

Post by Amity »

Shrinky Dink wrote:
You can start planning now. You could narrow down the date to a weekend or two and pick a temple or location, decide what type of food you'll have at your reception (if you'll have a reception) and start looking up costs of said food. You could maybe start looking at dresses (I say 'maybe' because some of your or his family members might want to be there, but it's best to keep the group small). You could start discussing a budget with your boyfriend, how much you want to spend on invitations, announcements, thank yous, food, clothes, etc. You could definitely start collecting addresses. I used Excel so I could print the addresses directly onto the envelopes because my handwriting is atrocious, this was also helpful when starting the thank yous.

Good luck with the wedding planning, just remember that things like the food, what everyone is wearing, and stuff doesn't really matter, at the end of the day, the important thing is that you're married.
We've already done some pre-planning. My issue is that I teach college and my semester starts at the end of this month, so I've got this nice little window of time over the next 2.5 weeks where I could do some hard-core wedding planning before all my time gets eaten up by teaching. I want to start making firm plans so that our friends and family can approve our date and start making travel plans and so we can reserve a venue. The end of June sounds so soon!
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Amity wrote: We've already done some pre-planning. My issue is that I teach college and my semester starts at the end of this month, so I've got this nice little window of time over the next 2.5 weeks where I could do some hard-core wedding planning before all my time gets eaten up by teaching. I want to start making firm plans so that our friends and family can approve our date and start making travel plans and so we can reserve a venue. The end of June sounds so soon!
You can still do that if you want. My cousin bought her wedding dress and booked a bunch of stuff back in May for her September wedding while she was in town (she was living out of state at the time) even though they didn't get officially engaged with the ring until sometime in July. I guess it depends on how secretive you want to be, and how much you care about friends and family approving of the date. I am engaged right now and because of my teaching schedule, and my fiance's schedule there was basically only one day we wanted to so we just booked it. I'm not even sure I talked it through with my mom before setting the date...If your friends/family are going to be seriously offended by you not consulting with them, then you can wait, otherwise I'd just go for it.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Portia

Post by Portia »

If anyone has a story of spending around, say, $100 - $200 on a really cool dress that they bought themselves out of pocket, I'm all ears.
coastal goddess liberal
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Portia wrote:If anyone has a story of spending around, say, $100 - $200 on a really cool dress that they bought themselves out of pocket, I'm all ears.
My friend bought fabric and had someone make hers, so it was a little over 200, but not by much.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Imogen wrote:
Portia wrote:If anyone has a story of spending around, say, $100 - $200 on a really cool dress that they bought themselves out of pocket, I'm all ears.
My friend bought fabric and had someone make hers, so it was a little over 200, but not by much.
There's a place near me that carries reproductions of famous women's wedding dresses (like Angelina Jolie or something, I think) for around $300.
Portia

Post by Portia »

These are so Texan.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

My friend found a dress shop that was going out of business, and all their dresses were about $100. I was almost tempted to go buy one myself, despite no prospects in the foreseeable future.