Rant of the Day

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Portia

Re: Rant of the Day

Post by Portia »

This Twitter "movement" to repeal the 19th amendment is giving me a low-grade anxiety attack.

Got my ballot in the mail. Filled it out. Women, the franchise didn't come without sacrifice. My great-grandmother, whom I was very close to, was born before we were seen as full citizens. Don't let trolls disenfranchise you. VOTE.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yayfulness wrote:The good news: Word works just fine now.

The bad news: This came at the cost of my computer spending an hour and a half installing an update, then telling me it couldn't install it properly, then spending the next hour and a half uninstalling that same update. This is the second time it's happened. This is a brand new computer. I'm just glad I don't have any major assignments due tomorrow.
I'm sorry, that stinks.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

This is my fourth year in the voice major. I improved hugely last year and have already made some noticeable improvement this year. I auditioned for this year's opera on Friday, and despite feeling unprepared was proud of my performance.

I'm in the chorus.

There are several roles for women, most of them are double cast, and I'm in the CHORUS.

There are women who are sophomores, even I think a freshman, cast in roles.

I'M IN THE CHORUS.

And the director misspelled my name.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:This is my fourth year in the voice major. I improved hugely last year and have already made some noticeable improvement this year. I auditioned for this year's opera on Friday, and despite feeling unprepared was proud of my performance.

I'm in the chorus.

There are several roles for women, most of them are double cast, and I'm in the CHORUS.

There are women who are sophomores, even I think a freshman, cast in roles.

I'M IN THE CHORUS.

And the director misspelled my name.
I'm sorry. That sucks, and it's really unfair.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I have some code that works perfectly on my work computer, which is a mac. I decided I should really stop exclusively using my work computer for personal projects, so I set up an environment on my windows computer. Now I'm trying to run the program and keep getting all kinds of weird unicode/formatting errors I never got before. I do not understand! Bleh! I can ask people tomorrow at work, but this is just so silly.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I'm in a scenes show, playing a Greek lady. Did some research and found out about authentic Greek hairstyles, including that all married women (my song is about how I accidentally killed my husband) wore their hair up.

Figured out an easy hairstyle my untalented fingers can do in 10 minutes. Slapped a headband on it for pretty and also authenticity. Went on stage and was happy.

Then the director's like "oh, but I picture Hercules's wife as having big sexy curly hair."

Dear director: my hair does not curl.

I spent more than an hour and a half with a curling iron and hairspray, and even did some ratting. By the time I went onstage, my hair was almost completely limp.

So... I think I'm going back to my hairstyle tomorrow.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Grading final essays for the unit I just finished with my AP language students. Apparently I have taught them nothing in the past 10 weeks.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Emiliana wrote:Grading final essays for the unit I just finished with my AP language students. Apparently I have taught them nothing in the past 10 weeks.
Oh man I feel this so hard.
Deus ab veritas
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:I'm in a scenes show, playing a Greek lady. Did some research and found out about authentic Greek hairstyles, including that all married women (my song is about how I accidentally killed my husband) wore their hair up.

Figured out an easy hairstyle my untalented fingers can do in 10 minutes. Slapped a headband on it for pretty and also authenticity. Went on stage and was happy.

Then the director's like "oh, but I picture Hercules's wife as having big sexy curly hair."

Dear director: my hair does not curl.

I spent more than an hour and a half with a curling iron and hairspray, and even did some ratting. By the time I went onstage, my hair was almost completely limp.

So... I think I'm going back to my hairstyle tomorrow.
I applaud your efforts for historical accuracy!
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Long-distance dating blows.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

TheBlackSheep wrote:Long-distance dating blows.
Yeah, it definitely does. Any chance of it becoming not-long-distance sometime soon?
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

In the short-term, no. She's in grad school in New Jersey but she will graduate in May. I'm waiting for her to restabilize with a job before I start making any plans. I'm crossing my fingers that we will live in the same state again in under 18 months, though.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Literally every thing I can think of that my life has in common right now with where I expected my life would be ten years ago:

1. I am currently married

I honestly can't think of anything else, and even the details of #1 aren't very similar to what I expected them to be.

This isn't entirely bad. Given everything that's happened between then and now, I don't think I could be happy if my life had ended up where I thought it would. But still, looking back at all the things I thought I would have accomplished by now and realizing that most of them are just as far away from me as they were five years ago isn't exactly fun.
Portia

Post by Portia »

yayfulness wrote:Literally every thing I can think of that my life has in common right now with where I expected my life would be ten years ago:

I honestly can't think of anything else, and even the details of #1 aren't very similar to what I expected them to be.

This isn't entirely bad. Given everything that's happened between then and now, I don't think I could be happy if my life had ended up where I thought it would. But still, looking back at all the things I thought I would have accomplished by now and realizing that most of them are just as far away from me as they were five years ago isn't exactly fun.
You watching Gilmore Girls revival, too? :P
mic0

Post by mic0 »

THE GILMORE GIRLS REVIVAL IS SO GOOD I JUST FINISHED "SPRING" NO SPOILERS BUT I LOVE IT.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

(And I, too, am analyzing my life choices, which I was already doing, but GG is exacerbating it.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:(And I, too, am analyzing my life choices, which I was already doing, but GG is exacerbating it.)
JUST STARTING SUMMER

And it's way too real.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yayfulness wrote:Literally every thing I can think of that my life has in common right now with where I expected my life would be ten years ago:

Yeah, at some point I had a similar realization that there are some careers/professions that would be really difficult to get into since I didn't study them in college. Also, for many things, since I haven't appeared to be awesome in them yet, I probably won't become an amazing and famous and popular person. When I get to thinking about that I try to think about the things that matter to how I enjoy daily life, and it's things like having family/friends, eating, getting enough sleep, and finding methods of creative expression I personally enjoy.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Portia wrote:You watching Gilmore Girls revival, too? :P
Eh, I tagged along for about half an episode while my wife was watching before I lost interest. (To put that in context, that means that today I doubled my lifetime total Gilmore Girls watching time.)

I was actually running some stats on the Board and passing through nearly a decade of the site's history at the time that I posted that. (The tl;dr of the stats is that the question-asking rate has nearly dropped by 50% since 2007, which is more or less what I'd suspected. Now that I've broached the topic, I'll post the results somewhere more relevant.)
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Migraines are the wooooooooooorst. I had a reprieve for about a year when I switched from the pill to IUD, but I had one almost exactly four weeks ago, then one again today, and I am wondering if it's hormone related even though I don't have periods.