Rant of the Day

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Rant of the Day

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I just want to update my NaNo word count before going home but it's not working arrg!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

Mine isn't either! I'm at almost 5,000 but it won't let me change it! :(
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Did you know you can edit the number by day now? As in, go back and edit yesterday's number and so on? I love it. I mean, it all counts together in the end, but I really prefer having it reflect what I actually did on that day.

Nano rant for the day: I'm typing at school, in a computer lab. The monitors are huge and the online typing program I use has a pretty big font. Things between my characters are getting decidedly heated so I keep slowing down and stopping because I don't want anyone to read over my shoulder. :oops:
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

Finally got the word count to work! I'm about 50 words away from 5,000, which is 10%!!! :D
Portia

Post by Portia »

Have you tried Word Online? It's my favorite way to do word processing now.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I hate that people get mad at me or make fun of me because I have a few modest Christmas decorations (a star to go on the front door, a small nativity, a Christmas countdown, and a 24" Christmas tree) and I listen to Christmas music either with headphones or in a private setting. I'm not the one putting the Christmas decorations out in stores or playing Christmas music over the intercom. I don't even purchase most anything related to Christmas because I already have plenty of music and my decorations are all hand-me-downs. I love Christmas, but I'm not contributing to the commercialization of it. Just because I love Christmas doesn't mean anyone has to treat me as some freak for enjoying it privately. I'm sorry that people have had bad experiences with Christmas and I understand that it can be a very emotionally and financially draining time of year. I respect that so I keep my Christmas spirit to myself until it is much closer, but it seems like a lot of people want to spread their scrooginess around to me and that's not fair. I don't force anyone to enjoy Christmas, so don't force me to ignore it until Dec 1st.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Nano rant for the day: I'm typing at school, in a computer lab. The monitors are huge and the online typing program I use has a pretty big font. Things between my characters are getting decidedly heated so I keep slowing down and stopping because I don't want anyone to read over my shoulder. :oops:
Can you hit CTRL-minus (or the Mac equivalent) to get the font size down?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

My sister informed me, after this happened, that I can change the font on the screen. It's down to a nice 12 point now.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Shrinky Dink wrote:I hate that people get mad at me or make fun of me because I have a few modest Christmas decorations (a star to go on the front door, a small nativity, a Christmas countdown, and a 24" Christmas tree) and I listen to Christmas music either with headphones or in a private setting. I'm not the one putting the Christmas decorations out in stores or playing Christmas music over the intercom. I don't even purchase most anything related to Christmas because I already have plenty of music and my decorations are all hand-me-downs. I love Christmas, but I'm not contributing to the commercialization of it. Just because I love Christmas doesn't mean anyone has to treat me as some freak for enjoying it privately. I'm sorry that people have had bad experiences with Christmas and I understand that it can be a very emotionally and financially draining time of year. I respect that so I keep my Christmas spirit to myself until it is much closer, but it seems like a lot of people want to spread their scrooginess around to me and that's not fair. I don't force anyone to enjoy Christmas, so don't force me to ignore it until Dec 1st.
My qualm with people starting Christmas right after Halloween is that because in a lot of ways, Christmas has become very much about getting, and so squishing the arguably greediest holiday of the year right next to what is becoming a close second without taking a moment to breathe and be thankful in November just seems sad to me.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

In Canada we have Thanksgiving in October, so as soon as Halloween is over we can have Christmas.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Zedability wrote:In Canada we have Thanksgiving in October, so as soon as Halloween is over we can have Christmas.
I actually had a very nice conversation with a Canadian coworker today on this very topic, where we discussed the positive and negative aspects of a longer Christmas season. (He felt like it actually diluted some of the Christmas frenzy to the point where his kids weren't as obsessed with their presents, etc.)
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Apparently I need to go to Canada :)
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Tally M. wrote: My qualm with people starting Christmas right after Halloween is that because in a lot of ways, Christmas has become very much about getting, and so squishing the arguably greediest holiday of the year right next to what is becoming a close second without taking a moment to breathe and be thankful in November just seems sad to me.
I get that, I just don't like that other people won't let me start celebrating because they're not ready. /endrant
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Shrinky Dink wrote:Apparently I need to go to Canada :)
Everyone needs to go to Canada.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Trying to use Adobe Digital Editions to get an ebook from the library to my nook. Holy smokes, why is this so hard?? I give up for today. (I would write more about my hatred, but really my ranting has been going on for ten minutes in the form of yelling "WHY IS THIS SO HARD THE INTERNET IS SUPPOSED TO BE NICE" and making loud unhappy sounds).
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I just want to download books illegally now. -.-
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

awwww. I was able to get my Kindle to work with our library's overdrive, but it was really convoluted.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

SO convoluted. Anyway, it worked now!! With a little help from the library.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

A woman messaged me on Etsy, linking to one of my bracelets. "Instructions on making this please" No salutation, no signature, no punctuation; just a blunt request that I teach her how to make an item I'm trying to sell.

At least she said "please" I guess.
Digit

Post by Digit »

One of the languages I've read about that seems to have some of the most and most complex rules regarding politeness is Thai. I bet a native English speaker communicating to a Thai person bumps all over the place :) If I remember correctly, even the pronouns for 'I' and 'you', among all the other pronouns one uses while speaking, depends upon both the speaker's and the listener's position on the social register.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.