Awkward Initials #80490

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NovemberEast

Awkward Initials #80490

Post by NovemberEast »

Speaking of awkward initials in #80490

When I was trying to get us a return address stamp, I came across an issue with our combined initials. Most of my preferred design options had the couples initials. If we put our initials in the traditional sense it reads SNM and if we just did our first names it would be S&M.

Not. Any. Better.

Sure we could reverse our names, but I like to be traditional. So we went with just our last name.

BS is really not so bad now is it?
Shrinky Dink

Re: Awkward Initials #80490

Post by Shrinky Dink »

You reminded me of this Buzzfeed article http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/incre ... pp7K6rwjn7

Some initials can be cute, my cousin's son has the initials BMW so his nickname is Beamer.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

My initials unintentionally spell my nickname/first three letters of my first name, so that's pretty cool.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

When my cousin was in elementary school her teacher had kids write their initials on the board when they left to use the restroom. That way the teacher could know who was out and the other kids knew not to go until they got back. Except my cousin's initials are P.P. and she was mortified by the thought of having to write what sounded like "pee pee" on the board as she let everyone know she was leaving to go to the bathroom.

As for Inverse's answer, I see both sides, because no parent-to-be likes to be badgered about their name choice, but as someone with a weird name I often wonder why my parents didn't foresee the hell I was going to go through in school. And we almost gave our daughter an unfortunate first/middle name pairing before someone stepped in and said "As in, from [insert famous comedy routine here]?" which we're forever grateful for. My initials used to be TM, which I liked because in juvenile "I don't see your name on it" disputes I got to seize anything with a trademark on it.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Oh, I also know a guy who's initials are STD.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

My brother's initials are NAD. When his friends on his high school track team discovered this, they would helpfully chant, "Go NAD!" whenever he ran. He loved that. (Yeah, no.)

Mine spell CAD. Yippee. (Luckily I hate my middle name so I never ever use it. Also, my first name is a homophone of a common verb, my middle initial is an article, and my last name is a homophone of a common noun, so my name makes a sentence. Take that, John Bytheway!) I don't know why my parents thought giving a whole bunch of kids with a last initial of D middle names which started with A was a good idea. Also featured in my family: SAD, RAD, and LAD.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

When we were considering names for our children we avoided initials that spelled things that might have unfortunate connections. Some initials of names we considered spell out certain body parts, and what if that child has something unusual about that part, or could be the source of teasing for the child?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Mine are the same as a prominent fashion brand that was especially popular in the 90s. I loved it.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

My initials are KEM, which is not awkward. But for some reason it always made my mom think of the Dutch airline KLM (she used to go to a lot of conferences in Europe at one point in her life), and more than one time she labelled all of my pencils and things for school "KLM."
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Mine are just MEH.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

My initials are REM, which is AWESOME. I'm a band!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Portia

Post by Portia »

MY S.O.'s are WAH, which I had never thought about, and I'm usually obsessive about things like that.

MY brother's are GGK, which he became slightly obsessed with. He'd sign everything that way (he's an artist), and thought that things starting with G were superior.

My dad was considering a name like Katiana or Katrina for my younger sister. Got nixed because she would have been KKK. (One of the few truly unusable ones, IMO.)