Most spent on software

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Digit

Most spent on software

Post by Digit »

82302. I bet for most people with Windows machines or Macs, it was the OS, which was bought at the same time as the computer, and wasn't free.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Shrinky Dink

Re: Most spent on software

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I had to buy Microsoft Office because my computer only came with a 30-day trial. I got mine from the university bookstore, so there was a decent discount, but I still think I spent about $70 on it.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

Does anyone here have Creative Cloud?
Violet

Post by Violet »

I was going to say, none of the writers are designers or in a creative field. $200 for CS5.
Owlet
Board Writer

Post by Owlet »

I have Photoshop CS6 (I think?) but I actually won it for volunteering at a thing so it didn't fit the question.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I spent something like $150 for Final Draft for screenwriting. Which is the student price. Normally it's probably a hundred dollars more than that.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Yeah, Digit, that's true for me. Of course, since I built my desktop, I actually had to shell out specifically for the OS, it wasn't part of the cost of the computer. Amazon informs me that it was $99.99.
Deus ab veritas
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I forgot that I bought Sibelius First. That was probably about 100 dollars, though I think my parents bought it for me.
Amity

Post by Amity »

$395 to buy a license for Stata. Totally worth it.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Violet wrote:$200 for CS5.
Ditto for me (although it was probably CS2 or CS3).
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I have Creative Cloud! I paid about $21/month for the first year and now pay about $32/month; so far I've paid about $450. WORTH IT. I use Lightroom daily and Photoshop at least weekly. Premiere, InDesign, and Illustrator are more rarely used but invaluable for certain projects.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I once got a book for Christmas about the 3D modeling software Maya and the book came with a CD with a 30-day trial of the software. I think I did the first project of a solar system. I felt some sticker shock when I looked up the price of that. I've done a bit with the totally free product Blender since.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I once cataloged a piece of software that cost around $4,000. That was a little stressful.
Digit

Post by Digit »

What does cataloging mean in this case? Adding it to your library's system for the library's use? So people can borrow it? What was the fear? That someone would accuse you of making a copy for yourself?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Digit wrote:What does cataloging mean in this case?
Creating a new record for this particular edition, adding the record to the library catalog, physically processing it with the appropriate labels and barcodes and hand carrying it downstairs to the circulation department.
Adding it to your library's system for the library's use? So people can borrow it?
We ordered it every year to support the research of a particular professor on campus so he, at least, could check it out. (And I suppose others could have as well, if they'd been interested in it.)
What was the fear? That someone would accuse you of making a copy for yourself?
No, I just didn't work in a particularly secure area and I was afraid of losing something that cost more than I made in a month. (I wouldn't have been particularly interested in the software for my own use, since it was some sort of very specialized software about crystallography.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Digit wrote:What does cataloging mean in this case?
Creating a new record for this particular edition, adding the record to the library catalog, physically processing it with the appropriate labels and barcodes and hand carrying it downstairs to the circulation department.
Adding it to your library's system for the library's use? So people can borrow it?
We ordered it every year to support the research of a particular professor on campus so he, at least, could check it out. (And I suppose others could have as well, if they'd been interested in it.)
What was the fear? That someone would accuse you of making a copy for yourself?
No, I just didn't work in a particularly secure area and I was afraid of losing something that cost more than I made in a month. (I wouldn't have been particularly interested in the software for my own use, since it was some sort of very specialized software about crystallography.)
I'm working on documenting a new cloud-based tool for Catalogers.

It is probably one of the more complex things I've ever dealt with, and I worked in healthcare.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Portia wrote:healthcare
I once read an interesting article about how each hospital has a master list of the base highly inflated price for each good and service they offer, called the Chargemaster, which isn't the price people pay, but serves as the starting point for negotiations with patients and insurance companies.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:I'm working on documenting a new cloud-based tool for Catalogers.
What's the tool?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:I'm working on documenting a new cloud-based tool for Catalogers.
What's the tool?
Well I'm sure you know who provides your current employer's ILS (being vague on purpose). We're developing everything in the cloud: and I'm a flibbertigibbet because I actually work primarily for Acquisitions, not Cat.