so tough luck intersex people?

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Portia

so tough luck intersex people?

Post by Portia »

The church teaches that gender is inherently linked to sex, but the church has no official policy on the status of intersex persons.
So, um, your parents or doctors have the say although "gender" is supposedly "eternal"???!

Intersex people aren't "mistakes." I guess most get assigned female gender but it seems to cause a lot of cases of dysphoria.
Zedability

Re: so tough luck intersex people?

Post by Zedability »

I don't think your parents or doctors necessarily have the say, and if they do, I don't think that's Church policy. If we're using "intersex" to describe people who have non-binary physical sex characteristics (I get confused by all the terminology), I think it's reasonable as an LDS parent to wait for the child to be old enough to prayerfully decide which gender they feel they are. At least, that's how I'd approach the situation.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

That's a very rare approach, as far as I know. Intersex babies are way more common than most people know about. I heard (in a class) at the annual Utah Gender Conference that more babies are born with some intersex variation than are born with Down syndrome. If that's even remotely true, we probably all know an intersex person, but how many of us know of kids who are raised gender neutral to that extent for the first few years of their lives?

I'm given to understand that in most cases mom and dad choose the "sex" of their child at birth with guidance from the doctors. I do know of intersex people who then felt they were assigned the wrong gender and others who felt the construct of gender was just unhelpful to unmeaningful to them.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

In fact, many parents of intersex infants elect to have their children undergo surgery to make their genitals look "less ambiguous" when those children are incredibly, incredibly young.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

before my daughter was born this was something I worried about. I think it would be tough to make that decision! Gender is something complete strangers will ask about your child (with or without gender-signifying clothes). It would be tough to have that awkward conversation all the time! But it feels like cosmetic genital surgery is premature for a baby.