"How are you doing?"

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Zedability

"How are you doing?"

Post by Zedability »

I never really know how to respond when people ask me "how are you doing?" and mean it. Obviously with strangers or acquaintances they're just going for "good" and I don't have an issue with that, but when my friends really want to know how I'm doing, I'm getting really tired of trying to come up with a good response, since it's usually something along the same lines as "About as crappy as the last time you asked. Again." Anyone else have this problem? Ideas?
Violet

Re: "How are you doing?"

Post by Violet »

In those situations, I ask if people want a short answer or a longer answer they'll want to ask questions about. Sometimes I clarify, "do you want to know what's going on in my life physically or emotionally?"

In most cases (mostly my mom) people are satisfied with a more detailed physical answer (I'm going to classes, talk about projects I'm working on in school and work, things like that).
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

"I'm alive."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

If I'm having a bad day I usually try to dodge the question, or better yet, avoid talking to anyone. >_> Maybe it's my natural instinct of social withdrawl kicking in when I don't feel good (supposedly if you are contagious sick it can be a helpful instinct for everyone?).

Or an honest answer of "I made it to [class/church/this afternoon] today."

I think it's more productive to ask more specific questions like "how are you sleeping?" or "Are you managing the stress of [school/work/parenting]?" but those are both kind of patronizing questions that someone closer to you might ask.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I have that problem. I just sum up, even if it becomes as much as a stock phrase as "fine" might be for a while. "Things are rough," is my go-to right now.