Banned Books?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Shrinky Dink

Banned Books?

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I was talking to some moms about books and I found that some moms drew the line of what content they would/would not allow their children to read at a very different place than I would. We're talking about kids somewhere between 4th-7th grade. Of course you don't want your kids reading some detailed sex scenes or Dexter level murder when they're only 9 years old, but is it really that horrible for your daughter to read about a girl with two moms? I'm pretty sure that most of us on this board aren't the type to stop our kids for reading Harry Potter for the witchcraft. I think it's great to read books with your kids so that you can address questions directly, but the whole situation made me a little uncomfortable.

Where do you draw the line on topics like:
drug addiction
alcohol consumption
racism
sex
abuse/violence/rape
LGBT+ families/issues
death
suicide
mental illness
offensive language
other religions
religious extremists
and more?
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Shrinky Dink

Re: Banned Books?

Post by Shrinky Dink »

To go ahead and answer my own question,

Age is definitely a huge factor for me and I think all of these topics can be introduced at a young age in appropriate ways. I see nothing wrong with teaching a first grader that there are all sorts of different types of families but I would probably wait until they're older to explain what happened at Pulse. I definitely would never stock my own copy of 50 Shades of Gray, but I would introduce the topic of sex at a young age especially when my kids are curious about their own bodies. I would probably want to introduce healthy sexual relationships (safe sex, marriage, consent, and waiting for the right person) long before introducing less stable sexual relationships (one night stands, teenage sex, abuse, and rape). As for drugs and alcohol, death, mental illness, and more, those will probably be introduced in a similar manner. Hopefully, this will allow me to teach my kids about these things before a big issue comes up like a drunk driving accident all over the news or death in the family.

I'll probably follow what my kids are reading really closely until they're in high school so I can address any questions and discuss things with them, but after a certain age, I'd rather just read general reviews and trust them to make good decisions.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I can't even imagine how my parents could have monitored what I was reading at those ages, I read SO MUCH.

Maybe this is naive, but it seems like a kid will only read about what they're interested in. If they wonder about things outside their experience at a younger age, why is it wrong for them to explore that? Books are the safest way to explore so many issues. Also they may not pick up on all the things -- for instance I read YA books that dealt with rape before I really knew what rape was. I just was interested on the other aspects of the story.

I think if I had kids, I'd pretty much trust the school library to have books that aren't psychologically scarring. I'm sure I'd glance at what my kids were reading, but I can't imagine really policing it. Unless they were reading "How To Be A Bigot", gotta draw a line somewhere.

eta: Also, if I have kids, I have every intention of talking to them about what they're reading, be it Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or the Bible or How To Be A Bigot. Talking about books with my parents (and now with anyone who will engage) is part of the great learning experience.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

my opinion is like mic0's; I read a ton when I was a kid and there was no way my parents could have screened all my reading. I think it's good to guide children to books that are appropriate for them, but I also think books are a good way to get to know more adult topics. My opinion will probably change as my offspring ages, but right now, I hope my child will be able to censor her own reading material.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I'm starting to realize that this question would probably have been more applicable to movies than books, but it's a bit too late for that. Oh well....
Portia

Post by Portia »

I for one think my social development was invaluably aided by guilt trips from seminary teachers over Songs About Jane.