How I met the 100 Hour Board

Introduce yourself and meet other readers!
C is for
um Administrator

Re: How I met the Board

Post by C is for »

TK wrote:I was introduced to the Board by P.D. Kirke before he became a writer... :)
I meant to point this out before now, but you're clearly the spy sister. Which is totally awesome.
TK

Re: How I met the Board

Post by TK »

C_is_for wrote:
TK wrote:I was introduced to the Board by P.D. Kirke before he became a writer... :)
I meant to point this out before now, but you're clearly the spy sister. Which is totally awesome.
Hahaha... I can neither confirm or deny the existence of (or my existence as) the spy sister... ;)
vorpal blade

Re: How I met the 100 Hour Board

Post by vorpal blade »

One of my daughters was a big fan of the board while she was a student at BYU. She talked about it a lot. So one day when I had a question I thought I'd ask the board. I've been hooked ever since.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

My story isn't very exciting. I started reading The Board as a sophomore at BYU. I actually can't remember how I heard about it, probably from a roommate or something. It was one of those vague things like, "There's this website that will answer any question in 100 hours." So I was thinking about it one day, I got curious enough to find it, and I started reading. I've been reading and asking questions ever since. I think that was like, four years ago? My, how time flies.
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

My story isn't particularly interesting. I was bored reading about physics one day the theory of relativity. I started discussing it with my co-workers and none of us had an acceptable answer for why time flows differently in motion as opposed to not. My co-worker then suggested the BYU 100 hour board and figured that they might have an answer.

Looked it up, asked the question and awaited the answer. In the mean time I started reading through the archives on the questions that people asked. I thought it fascinating the breadth of the questions being asked. From pirates vs ninja's (Ninjas dude), to questions on how to come out of the closet so to speak. For a long while I've wanted to find a place like this to ask my random questions and I think it'll do just fine.

Besides, I'm always interested in putting in my two cents on pretty well anything you can imagine.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Huh. I don't think I've ever put mine on here. Well, I first was introduced to the Board at work when a coworker walked by a Board booth and they were giving out free t-shirts to whoever could find the answer to how many stairs there are on campus on their website. So said coworker rushed into work, told us, and we frantically tried to find the answer. I remember thinking that the site looked kind of fun, then promptly forgot all about it. (Random side note, turns out I was roommates with the girl that wrote the question, but had no idea until a few years ago.)

A year or two later, branflakes was at my house making cookies (he had been in my freshman ward) and told me that I should write for the Board. "The what?" He was serious enough about it that he pinned me to the couch with his laptop and told me I couldn't get up until I finished reading Today's Posts. Like, serious enough that he even finished making cookies so I would keep reading. I remember chuckling a bit. So then he started making me read the archives. Within two days of archives he told me that I should be a writer. Then he promptly changed his mind and told me I should read a little bit more first.

I introduce the Board at work where Humble Master and I started reading daily. We also started asking questions. Every few days branflakes would tell me that I should apply to be a writer; no wait I should wait a bit more first. He kept telling me I was a shoo-in. That they were in desperate need of new writers, so he was sure that if I applied, I'd be hired.

So, to get branflakes off my back, I finally applied to be a writer not long after I became a reader. I fully expected to hear back, well, soon. Months later I was accepted, after I had long since given up and would have forgotten about it had it not been for branflakes constantly asking me if I'd heard anything yet. Oh, and he had no inside knowledge because the punk decided to retire just after I applied. And then I stayed a probie for ages because Optimistic. forgot that he had never officially hired me.

So, I've spent nearly all of my Board time as a writer. I've definitely read the Board as you guys see it more now that I've retired than I ever did before except maybe those first few months when Humble Master and I would read every day at work.
wryness

Post by wryness »

I would love to know how I found out about the 100 Hour Board. Unfortunately, I don't remember.

...hm. Maybe somebody didn't want me to remember how I found out about the Board...

Anyway, I think I somehow stumbled upon it some years ago -- no idea how -- and I've loved it ever since. Found out I even know at least one of the (former) writers.

So, yeah; ¡Viva la Board! ¡-Ia!
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

I was introduced to the board by my roommate, fair Hermia. One day another roommate asked her "Do you still write for that thing?" as she was wearing a Board t-shirt. Not too long after that, I stumbled upon a link to the board while on the newsnet website (I have no idea why I was there, though...) Intrigued, I decided to investigate since I knew Hermia was somehow involved in this strange thing. I quickly fell in love with the board and its variety of answers and quirky responses. Spending hours at a computer waiting for students to show up for my office hours also might have had something to do with it.

However, it took me a while to figure out Hermia was in fact, Hermia. She started relating stories about her roommates, and I realized that the stories involved me!
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I've never explained my story before, so now is a good a time as any.

My sister had just come home from BYU and brought with her a habit of reading the Board. Anyway, I was curious about it and read a bit. I wanted to ask questions too, but my sister said no (something about me being too young and/or not being a BYU student). I had her ask a question or two on my behalf, and a couple of months later, I secretly made my own account (I'm pretty sure it was after she had returned to BYU). She was only mildly annoyed when she found out.

Three years later, I'm still reading and she is not. But she has a husband and kid, so she has a good excuse.

In three days I'll have the three-year anniversary of submitting my first question. And second question. I'll give "Whose Line is it Anyway" points--i.e. ones that don't matter--to anyone who can figure out which ones they are. As a hint, both were answered by a writer that is still active. Another tidbit (not exactly a hint): I used this 'nym on my fourth and fifth questions (not including vicarious one(s)).
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Carrapicho

Post by Carrapicho »

I remember being a little freshman on BYU campus back in 2000, wandering near the Ride Board in the Wilk, and there were these strange papers posted on a bulletin board with responses from people with weird names. Something about asking whatever question you wanted and you'd get an answer from random people in a few days. I had no idea what it was, and I pretty much forgot about it.

About 5-6 years later, I somehow (don't remember exactly) found it online again, and I've been hooked ever since. It's much easier to keep track of things this way. Me like :)
ladybug

Post by ladybug »

I'm a new member of the board, but I've known about it for a while. I found out about it from bobtheenchantedone. I've been to a couple of board parties that she invited me to, and meet some of the other board members. Today I was bored at work and decided to check out this 'thing' bob had been talking about for months. I actually found a different 100hr board at first and was so very confused. Finally I found this one, yeah!
~On the Wings of a Ladybug~
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

0_0

ladybug? You're here??

*is surprised*
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

ladybug wrote:I'm a new member of the board, but I've known about it for a while. I found out about it from bobtheenchantedone. I've been to a couple of board parties that she invited me to, and meet some of the other board members. Today I was bored at work and decided to check out this 'thing' bob had been talking about for months. I actually found a different 100hr board at first and was so very confused. Finally I found this one, yeah!
This is slightly confusing, simply because one of my nyms on the Board was Lady Bug. :D I had to convince myself that I didn't create a new boardboard alias and make up stuff to post. Cuz that would be really unnerving if I did that and didn't remember it.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Dragon Lady wrote:
ladybug wrote:I'm a new member of the board, but I've known about it for a while. I found out about it from bobtheenchantedone. I've been to a couple of board parties that she invited me to, and meet some of the other board members. Today I was bored at work and decided to check out this 'thing' bob had been talking about for months. I actually found a different 100hr board at first and was so very confused. Finally I found this one, yeah!
This is slightly confusing, simply because one of my nyms on the Board was Lady Bug. :D I had to convince myself that I didn't create a new boardboard alias and make up stuff to post. Cuz that would be really unnerving if I did that and didn't remember it.
again.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Tao wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:
again.
Did I do that before? Man, I really do need to get more sleep. ;)
ladybug

Post by ladybug »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:0_0

ladybug? You're here??

*is surprised*
Yup, yup. I'm here. :)
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Welcome to the boardboard, Ladybug. (Hmm, the words sort of bubble out.)
ladybug

Post by ladybug »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Sorry to confuse you. I picked ladybug cause that's been my nickname at home for as long as I can remember. Also when I was at the parties I went by ladybug.
ladybug

Post by ladybug »

vorpal blade wrote:Welcome to the boardboard, Ladybug. (Hmm, the words sort of bubble out.)
Thank you. :)
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Once upon a time, some guy decided to have a Provo-Orem Treasure Hunt. There were lots of very cryptic clues...and in a fit of desperation (and hoping to find a professor of cryptography or something of the sort) I searched BYU's website for "cryptography". A link to Board Question #50500 came up, and while it didn't really help with the treasure hunt, I got addicted to the Board. The rest is history...I got addicted to asking questions, reading questions, and one day, I hope to write answers :D